Adding a guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Adding a guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Adding a guest network
Adding a guest network
2022-12-06 17:32:24

My Deco mesh system has 2.4ghz an 5ghz bands. I need to set up a separate Guest network on just the 2.4ghz band so that I can add smart appliances to my wifi.  I don't know how to to this.  The IPS aress for TP-Link is resulting in a "cannot find server" message.  Can someone give me some guidance on how to do this?  Thank you!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Adding a guest network
2022-12-06 19:43:24

@Danbury,

I would recommend configuring your Deco Network using the Deco App on your phone. 

The webUI interface currently has limited configuration options, and the application on your phone makes it much easier and much more straightforward to configure settings such as the Guest Network.

If you would still like to access the WebUI of your router, the instructions can be found here: Logging into the Web-Based Interface for Your Deco Network

You can see the steps to enable the guest network on your Deco here: Creating a Guest Network on Deco

Options
2022-12-06 19:53:52

@Riley_S Thank you for such a quick response.  I have tried on both my MacBook Air and on my iphone 13.  I'm having no luck.  It's even saying my router is not connected to the internet, yet that is how I get my wifi signal.  

This must have something to with the modem, which is an Xfinity modem didsplaying both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I configured it to work with the Deco mesh system.  Maybe I need to shut down the 5ghz on the modem? 

Options
2022-12-06 22:02:13

@Danbury,

If your modem is broadcasting its wi-fi signal and you can connect and access the internet there, but not through the deco network; that would most likely mean that the settings on your modem/router combo (Gateway) have been reset and acting as the main router for your network.

This means that that device is in charge of assigning the DHCP addresses for the entire network. If the Decos are set up in Router Mode, they will also be trying to assign IP addresses to devices. Furthermore, it may be preventing you from accessing the router interface. If you can find the IP address in the Deco App of your Main Node, you may be able to connect to the device directly using its IP. Also, please make sure that you are connected to the wireless network created by the Deco Network, rather than the Xfinity Gateway when you are attempting to access the network settings.

I would recommend going into the settings on your Xfinity modem and making sure that either Bridge Mode or Passthrough mode is enabled. When the Gateway is also operating as a Router, the Deco network must be configured in Access Point Mode, so as to avoid conflicts that would cause behavior such as this.

Lastly, when you are configuring a Gateway, disabling the router aspects of the device will prevent the router from transmitting data across all the ethernet ports on the device. Only one ethernet port will provide a connection to the internet, which must go immediately into the Main Deco node of the network. From the main deco. the ethernet ports are fair game and can be wired to a switch, other nodes, or individual devices. If you have another device such as a PC wired into the modem alongside the Deco, remove these and attach these devices to the network further down the line, such as directly to the main deco node.

Lastly, Are the LEDs on the Decos Red or Flashing?

Options
2022-12-07 17:39:00

@Riley_S  I am thoroughly confused.

My Xfinity modem is using my network and its 2.4ghz.

My wifi signal definitley comes from the Deco mesh.  the lights on the 3 Deco units are white. When the wifi goes out, they turn red.  If I need to recycle the wifi signal, I unplug a Deco unit, plug it back in, and that gets the sigal going again.

However, I cannot bring up the TP-Link router address.  I am just getting "cannot connect to server" messages.

I tried to add a Guest Network by going into my Deco app on my iphone, but all I am getting is the means ot set up my Deco Mesh, which is already set up and operateing. I. don't see any selection for "MORE" as you had instructed.

So I have hit a wall. I"m stumped as to what to do, but I've got to get this space heater on the wifi.

Options
2022-12-07 22:16:15

@Danbury,

Your Xfinity modem, which should be the first point that internet enters your house, is the point of confusion here:

If your modem from Xfinity is providing a wireless signal of any sort, then the device is a Gateway, rather than a modem; it is essentially a 2-in-1 Unit for home networking. The problem is that this means that the Xfinitiy Gateway is also in charge of managing the networks connections, when the responsibility should be passed down to the deco units. As a result, the decos need to be set up in AP mode to avoid conflicts with IP addressing, such as what may be happening here.

A possible explanation for why you cant access the network is that your device is connecting to one of your satellite mesh nodes, rather than the main; and the signal is getting lost in the network because the Xfinity Gateway does not know what to do with it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 5

Related Articles