AX5400 (AX75) 5Ghz wireless VPN issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-07 20:35:56 - last edited 2022-12-07 20:54:50
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20220531 rel.45673(5553)

When I setup my main wireless network(5G), security is "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" and version is set to "AUTO".  I can connect to this from all devices.

My guest network(5G) also uses "WPA2/WPA3-Personal” but there is no dropdown to set version.
I can connect to this from all devices.

When I am connected to my main wireless network, and try to connect to my work VPN (Cisco anyconnect), the connection drops repeatedly. It only stays connected for up to 3 minutes if I am lucky.

As soon as I change to my guest network, I can connect to the VPN without any issues.

For my main wireless I use Smart Connect which allows each of the router's wireless bands to use the same wireless settings. The router can balance network demand and assign devices to the optimum band. If I disable this, and setup each band individually, the VPN still fails.

Does anyone know what version the guest network uses? Is it WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK or WPA3-SAE

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the VPN to drop using my main wireless network/band?

EDIT: This is not using the router VPN settings, this is using client VPN from the laptop

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX5400 (AX75) 5Ghz wireless VPN issue
2022-12-08 02:44:06

@c67 

Which wireless band you are connecting to, 2.4G or 5G?

Have you tested the Cisco connection on other client devices? Do they behave the same?

Try to change the security to WPA2-PSK, AES for the main network, will it help?

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-08 03:12:12

@Liverpool20 Thanks for the reply

This issue is on 5G.

I have not tested this on other laptops as it is only installed on this one work machine (windows), and all drivers got updated yesterday to see if that helped (it did not).

It did not work on the main network band using  WPA2-PSK, AES. That concerned me since that was what I was using on my Archer C9 and had no issues connecting. On the AX75 the only 5G network it works on is the guest one.

Options
2022-12-16 21:32:27

@c67,

Apologize for the late response. 

The Smart Connect Feature moves the responsibility of switching between the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands to the router, this means the router will automatically move your device to the band that has the strongest signal quality. If you disable the feature and set the SSID to be the same for both bands, the responsibility to switch between bands will move to the client device instead.

Have you tried setting a Static IP and IP reservation for the device? You may also want to try changing your channel width or channel to see if there is interference causing the disconnect. Check your QoS settings, you may want to manually set this to be above what you expect to receive from your ISP. 

Lastly, are you able to see (either in your clients connection status or your router logs) what may have caused the device to disconnect from the network or if the device is disconnecting from the network or from just the internet?

Going through some of the forums for AnyConnect, it looks like there may be ports that you should open that may be causing the disconnects: Cisco Anyconnect VPN Client Ports

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 547

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles