Options for 2 way switch with weird wiring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-28 21:05:45
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

So I have an issue that I'm trying to work my way through. I have the  KS230 Kit V2. I have a hallway switch that has the Line wire (but it's wired to the white wire wich is normally the neutral wire). I tried wiring the secondary switch to both switches and get no power.

I also have some HS220 dimmer switches and was wondering if I can just leave the light switch on as a dumb switch and wire up the HS220 to the 2nd switch location and just use it as the smart dimmer.

15f5fd59e9014d06a526c16f7d8ec626

Location of 2nd switch and has neutral (and a working KS230 Kit v2 on another 2 way switch in a hallway.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Options for 2 way switch with weird wiring
2023-01-06 18:58:20

There are official ways to bypass a lightswitch by connecting wires, that way there is no risk of the power to the main dimmer being cut. However, the main unit for the KS230, and also any of other 2-way switches and dimmers will need to be installed into the wallbox that has the neutral wire. The neutral wire is a requirement for the device to function correctly as the device may degrade or burn out from power fluctuations otherwise. Most smart devices will have this requirement.

If I am not mistaken, your setup looks like it should be compatible, depending on how the lights are wired into the system. Double-check the connections with a voltmeter to ensure that the connections are correct; especially since your wires have been painted over.

Lastly, please confirm that you do in fact have a v2 KS230; only the v2 allows for the traveller wires to be crossed. The V1 requires the travelers to run parallel and will only provide power when done so. 

Options
Re:Options for 2 way switch with weird wiring
2023-01-06 19:11:29

Hi, I do have the V2 KS230, however in the primary location it just doesn't have a neutral wire I can use. I do have an HS210 at the top of the stairs that is always powered on and I just left the primary switch as a dumb switch. Works with no issues, but wish I could use this setup with the KS230 V2.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 432

Replies: 2

Related Articles