Configuring Deco X60 offline (without internet access)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 22:01:33 - last edited 2022-12-30 22:05:24
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

How does one configure the Deco X60 system without internet access? What I mean is specifically changing configuration settings while not connected to the internet, not how to initially configure it so that it can be later used without internet access.

I want to be certain that this system can be configured even if TP-Link as a company ceases to exist and no longer has any servers running. I'm specifically seeking a replacement for my Google OnHub, which is being bricked due to Google dropping support for it. I want to ensure that this does not happen again, and that TP-Link cannot do anything that would make my hardware no longer configurable.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Configuring Deco X60 offline (without internet access)
2022-12-31 15:44:07 - last edited 2022-12-31 15:44:50

Not sure what you are referring to? TP-Link Deco devices do not "phone home" to any Internet based servers. The only problem is that most routers need to have Internet connectivity so that they can perform DNS resolution. Without an Internet connection the routers fail and then stop functioning properly.

So if you are trying to create an isolated or siloed network, without an Internet connection then, I believe that you may want to investigate using a 169.254. 0.0 - 169.254. 255.255 network for your home siloed network. That network is non-routable. But I don't know if that can be configure that in a Deco. You probably need a Network expert to respond.

Options
2023-01-07 21:19:30

@DAServices My question is regarding to being able to configure the device. My understanding is that most settings can only be changed via the app, which requires one to log in with their TP-Link account. I want to make sure that if I have no internet (both on my mobile device running the app and from the Deco) that I can continue to configure the Deco devices. Another similar case would be if TP-Link's servers were to go down.

Options
2023-01-08 20:25:20

@staticcaster Deco's have a built-in web server that you can access via a browser. You'll need to figure out the IP address the device is using. Not sure what the default username and password is if yu have not set it up yet, but I'm sure it's an internet search away.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 333

Replies: 3

Related Articles