Shown Speed Not Matching Speed Test

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-04 01:17:34
Model: TL-PA7017 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey all,

Just set up my EOP in my apartment. Thought it was an easy solution to not being able to run wires to keep my PC wired. I installed the TP-Link software for it and it's nice to be able to see/monitor actual transfer speeds, but the issue I'm having is that it's showing upwards for 400 Mbps while my speed tests are only getting me upwards of 70 Mbps. I tried using my phone to connect to the 5g wireless and when running the same test, I'm getting anywhere from 100-110 Mbps. Also tried plugging in my wireless card and am receiving similar speeds via the card. Any idea why my wired connection through the EOP would be running slower even if its communication shows that it is handling speeds of 370-410 Mbps for communication?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Shown Speed Not Matching Speed Test
2023-01-05 00:03:34

@wends,

Powerline is a different beast in itself when it comes to home networking. 

Are the higher speeds that you are seeing, the potential link speed of the network? This would mean that it is essentially the bandwidth that the devices can support in their current physical configuration. Real Life speeds will be entirely dependent on additional factors such as connectivity, range, and electrical interference. 

Have you verified that your device is connecting to the satellite node wirelessly and not the main node or main network?

The first step would be to move the satellite nodes to see if the behavior persists across setups. Next, I would move the node to the same room as the main node, this will allow you to ensure that the device is working correctly.

Options
2023-01-05 12:59:54

@Riley_S 

It's the displayed speed on the application that's downloadable through the site to monitor the devices linked in the home. I figured with it showing the capability of upwards of 400mbps communication through the two I have linked, I would be getting higher internet speeds than 60-70mbps. I thought maybe it was because I had a 2-in-1 route modem combo provided by my ISP that was bottlenecking my speed because they've been known to hand out pretty bad hardware, so I went and picked up a seperate modem and had a spare router lying around. Now I'm hitting around 200-300mbps over 5g and still stuck at 60-70 through the devices.

I'll try moving the device to the same room and testing it to see if it's the device itself. I figured there were some limitations to them because power lines aren't made specifically to transfer data, but when I saw the displayed communication transfer rate of 350-400mbps between the two devices on the app, I was pretty hopeful.

Options
2023-01-05 17:30:25

@wends,

I was able to find a FAQ that included a few settings that you could fiddle with to see if you can improve the connection quality: Troubleshooting Slow Powerline Speeds;

Otherwise, the first step is to move the devices around to make sure that the devices can function correctly in your environment. However, looking at some of the internal documentation we have for the utility, it does appear that the higher speed that you are seeing is something like that Link Rate between devices. There is a conversion rate for PLC devices that indicates how much of the bandwidth is actually being converted to a datastream. For most of the devices, the speeds that are expected are similar to your setup. PLC connections that have larger bandwidths require a PLC system that is capable of handling well above the expected speeds. 

From what I am seeing, it is a good idea to treat Powerline Connectors as Range Extenders, as they seem to experience the same falloff as a Range Extender

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 3