Wireless Clients being reported as wired ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-05 22:03:40 - last edited 2023-01-07 15:43:29
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.08

Some of my wireless TP-Link Kasa Smart Bulbs and plugs are showing up as wired ethernet connections in the Deco app. What is the proper way to correct this?

Options
13 Reply
Re:Wireless Clients being reported as wired ethernet
2023-01-06 00:13:29

@NuklearNik,

I don't think I have actually seen this behavior before. Are you using the Deco in AP mode? Access Point Mode results in devices not showing up in the online client list if they are connected to a satellite unit.

Otherwise,

Is there a pattern in the devices showing the wired connection? such as being connected to a satellite deco or AP that is wired to the main deco?

If you set a static IP address for the device, does the list still display the plugs as wired?

The first step will be to make sure that the firmware for your deco nodes matches the most up-to-date firmware that is provided on the support page for your model. It appears as though a new firmware was released on the 8th of December for the X55. If you are not yet using the most up-to-date version, please do so, as this was a large firmware update that added many features requested by the community. The Deco X55 also has a beta firmware for EasyMesh Compatibility, and another beta firmware for Wireguard Compatibility, meaning that the device will most likely receive more updates and fixes in the next few months.

Options
2023-01-06 00:54:52

@Riley_S 

The devices were originally connected wirelessly to a secondary WAP connected via ethernet to my old router. When I installed the Deco system I left this WAP connected so that I could migrate my dozens of devices without losing half my house. They correctly showed up as wired originally because they appeared to the Deco as wired because of the wired WAP. I thought when I unplugged the WAP and connected the devices to the Deco's SSID that they would then appear as wireless. Most did change over to wireless like my Wemo devices but the TP-Link Kasa devices and Sonos Zone players still appear as wired even though they are connected wirelessly. I hope this made sense. I guess I'll try rebooting the system. I just got everything up and running like a charm so I'm hesitant to throw a possible monkey wrench into everything. So the question is - did the Deco fail to update the device table correctly because it had seen these devices previously as wired? What do you think?

Options
2023-01-06 01:33:59

@NuklearNik,

I think you are correct in your assumption. If you have just made the change to your network, it may be necessary for the leases to expire that the devices are using. It very well might fix itself when the devices receive new credentials from the deco. Because the device is still connected to technically the same network, the device may have never needed to refresh its settings but can still maintain a connection.

In this case, the surefire way to fix the behavior would be to perform a soft reset. This will keep the settings but will allow you to reconnect the device to the network. The device should then receive new credentials from the Decos

Options
2023-01-07 02:47:47 - last edited 2023-01-07 15:43:29

@Riley_S 

I've power cycled. Updated firmware. These devices are still being reported as wired. Any ideas?

Options
2023-01-07 19:32:42

@Riley_S 

What does the Remove Device button do? This is one of my wireless devices that shows up as wired.

j0bJkftDF3efwLuMpbcZkaCKJA7wwXppWMc2lUJs4t-v4C3l-3dVjNMqSZedZ6TGBTiLth 7z3PbqY0qPTr7H6pahgDGwrFfXX5yQyhlTmPvO88QkGmMmQYf06 Olg0671ocYxQh2vU5cM5uXtu8ERl8Gz4wZfxjnPuryKhcfXaXu0mvBcCHjDgYAbonLnV 0fCNQ 1u1HWZLMXun3vO-u--w39B7AL94CgzQXPJSCHNTsX1oIx6r  t--rxrHOxHz88-MzlxgLjmfc5tv3 RcFnn2AF5pQID DSWWamWsVNCbe6DPDZMqTIuuKZ-jNKWZLFwjgB2CpFmGDL8zcUraN9-G J-UMR0Rc0j0CHvU4cK1PX7J3ApayFufA3KlG8eW9ELbL-wlAO7-Ri8fac-31Oy9j7PM7xf1XUwuTeiccNfiHLvHk2CxBsqFvtpxzuZN yPHu85bl-cTkttCZan tYmpm3L7tmDa0b1Cz-Uy6sjn9yciQn6xoLBplcXHHvi9SYodgBt2Mhd31BTdXdTSeTLYnPm j5tza2pFuLWSix4CvrSz4evY-PA21BwxOaEIk0mjRIGVqNAyp8r9Zk3b7050MtFoFS55ESnFMsAOGods2skq6faSZrH52priosaeQH4Ik7d3PBK plmw7mZwG MY3dfPExTiQ gFUM2wedPaHvU9QiGoVJAAF8kiCsHax81U5Q15q9PdBquxvUKh73IvYbXLsaUBrL4DDbk6R3e6u9h7fRq13gCvcjMK0VgNJveUmtnu61cj1NpYN0JWumwau5us3Ld3yDTDMLW9 Lr4jXG8qcfOEHqUhxycnVhkuYJtX8GXoJmcFAMIKG3H-VfbqLjjxrEIdVwvytDktHSjT mIRQcAg8pvraEEd14mKIHvZHi4AzxhrlyUrKhaJfFSxp02si1rY0ZJzgHzKCOjCT5aH zpW9xtJEunCDjwNADdPGa0yg-dd1F0E=w383-h820-no?authuser=0

Options
2023-01-09 17:27:50

@NuklearNik,

This button is usually used for when clients are removed from the network, but still appear in the client list as unavailable. Try to remove the device, and see if the device will be seen as wireless. Depending on how your device connects to the network, you may need to reconnect the removed device to the Wi-Fi network

Options
2023-01-09 17:59:24

@Riley_S  I tried it. I unplugged clients and waited for them to appear in the offline clients list. I removed them then turned thruned them back on. Some of them appeared as wireless ranging from a few minutes to a few hours. they have all reverted to wired.

Options
2023-01-10 01:27:22

@NuklearNik,

I think that I may have been able to find documentation of a similar behavior for a different deco model a few weeks ago, however the doc says that the behavior has been fixed with firmware updates to the affected decos. Can you check to see if you are using the most up-to-date firmware and that the firmware matches the most recent firmware for your model on the support page. If there is no new firmware updates available, I can create a report for our development team about this model.

FYI; the doc mentions that the devices were appearing as wired clients when connected to either another deco or through a networking switch.

Options
2023-01-10 02:18:29

@Riley_S Hi. Happy New Year!

I upgraded to the most recent firmware -1.1.0 Build 20221102 Rel. 66085

The system is configured with a MAIN DECO with 2 satellite DECOS coneected through an ethernet swtich.

The devices in question are:

Smart Bulb TP-Link Kasa LB110 qty(1)

Smart Bulb TP-Link Kasa LB100 qty(3)

Smart Bulb TP-Link Kasa KL110 qty(5)

Mini Plug TP-Link Kasa HS-105 qty(1)

Sonos Player 1 qty(1).

All of these say connected to MAIN DECO . A few of them will say connected by wireless occasionally. Two of the TP-Link Kasa KL-110 bulbs stay connected wirelessly to MAIN DECO and have never shown connected via ethernet

Ethernet switch is D-Link DG5-1016A

Modem is Arris SB6183

Everything is working well except for the incorrect connection designations.

I've power cycled everything. Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it. 

Have a good evening!

Options
2023-01-13 16:43:55

@NuklearNik  I also have this same problem with TP-link Kasa switches that are connected to the main unit. Those that are connected to the satellite units correctly show as wireless. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1428

Replies: 13

Related Articles