Modify Mesh Map

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Modify Mesh Map

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Modify Mesh Map
Modify Mesh Map
2023-01-07 15:04:44
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

I have 3 Deco X60s. My modem is in corner of my house so that is where my Main Deco is.  I have another Deco in the middle of my house (Middle Deco) and one on the opposite side of the house as my Main Deco (Outlying Deco). 

My desired configuration would be that the Middle Deco connects to the Main Deco and the Outlying Deco connects to my Middle Deco.  However, they are both connecting to my Main Deco by default and I can't find where I can change the map.

When I first turned them on.  My Outlying Deco was connected to my Main Deco and my Middle Deco was connected to the Outlying Deco.  Once I rebooted the Middle Deco it then connected to the Main Deco.  This makes me believe that the configuration I'm looking for is possible.  Satellites can connect to satellites.  But how do I / can I force it?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Modify Mesh Map
2023-01-10 01:15:54

@d0ntcri,

The decos will reconfigure their backhaul methods when they receive power, so powering your deco devices in the order you want them to connect is a great way to encourage this behavior. Right now, the ability to select the signal source is being developed, however there doesn't appear to be a 1.6 firmware available for the X60 yet. 

Also, there is no problem connecting a satellite deco to another satellite. It is only warned that you don't want to Daisy-Chain more than three deco nodes together, as each node adds another hop for the data to pass through to reach the main node. With each of these hops, the delay is increased and the speed will start to diminish. Wireless connections between both devices and nodes also are prevented from carrying the entire signal as a result of the wireless overhead. This is why Ethernet Backhauls are the gold standard, as the overhead does not exist when the data is passing through an Ethernet Cable.

Options
2023-01-10 20:22:35 - last edited 2023-01-26 21:06:22

@Riley_S 

Question with regards to the selection of signal sourcing. 

I have a similar setup in my house, two levels with finished basement (effectively 3 levels) with house running north south and front of house facing east. Because of install needs, modem and main deco (x68) are in NW corner of the house, 2nd is on 2nd floor in workout room (middle) and 3rd is on 2nd floor at south end of house above garage. The signal sourcing for the far (south) one jumps from middle to main on occassion.

However, my signal sourcing question is more from the client perspective. Will this next update allow for the administrator to configure what devices connect to what node? We have certain stationary objects (IoT, Tvs, gaming systems, etc.) that seem to change and would like to them to be configured to only connect to a specific node, whereas stuff like laptops, phones, tablets, would be allowed to "wander" or "roam" and connect to whichever has the strongest signal based on location. 

What I see a lot of is stuff like the PS5 that is in the basement will jump between the main node (which is almost directly above it) and the middle node (2nd floor) that is situated more in the middle of the house. Then stuff like the kids xbox that is literally 10ft from the south node will jump between that node (south) and the middle node. There are even times where I log into the app and see that the majority of the items are all loaded on the main node with maybe the last 1/4 between the other two. The household maxes out currently at 18 devices (when both kids are here, we are here and everyone has laptops, phones and/or tvs going) connected but static probably has closer to 10 constant.

Options
2023-01-10 22:15:40

@Fizzius,

There is actually an FAQ for the feature available here: Selecting a Preferred Signal Source in the Deco App

The settings for client device can be found towards the bottom of the page, the first half is for Deco-Deco connection preferences. 

If it is possible, I would definitely recommend running an Ethernet backhaul between some of your nodes. Wired Backhauls are far more efficient at transferring data quickly and in large quantities. If the devices are maxing at 18, running an Ethernet cable would most likely cause the devices to use the satellites more often as there will be far less wireless interference and more throughput available for the Deco to use on the backhaul.

Options
2023-01-26 20:15:39 - last edited 2023-01-26 21:06:05

@Riley_S 

Thank you for this. I have looked and this is not something that is enabled/available for me, or at least it is not showing.

I am running an x68/x3600 network (sorry had x65 above) with the latest firmware (1.1.1 Build 20221115 Rel. 52180 according to the app) and version 3.2.10 of the app.

Is this client preference feature something that is not available on my particular setup? I would love to do ethernet backhaul and in the process of trying to reconfigure the network for the house to better serve us, however this is problematic with our house and setup.

Options
2023-01-26 20:32:14

@Fizzius,

I believe that the firmware version across Deco models that supports the feature is 1.1.6; however, the firmware is being actively developed and rolled out to models as it is created. Therefore some models will have to wait longer to receive the firmware. The best thing to do is to keep an eye on the downloads page for your model to see if a firmware update is available for your hardware version.

If the devices continue to jump to the main node rather than the closer satellite, you may try moving the satellite node closer to the main node, as this may provide a more stable connection that could be used by more devices. I would still recommend trying to find a way to run cables if possible, as the benefits far outweigh the required work. Furthermore, the cables would work for any system that you look to upgrade to or use in the future.

One thing I did notice about your post is that you say that the PS4 is below the Deco Node, unfortunately almost every wireless router is not designed to broadcast towards the ground, as it would have to go through so much interference, even the table it is sitting on would subtract from the connection. Routers typically broadcast in a horizontal line and above. This is why some users that have tall homes will elect to mount their regular routers to a wall.

Lastly, you may look at the beamforming(if available for your model) and roaming options for your network and devices, as these affect the way that devices can connect to the router, specifically for devices that move. I would go through this post from our global community, as the settings that would help are mostly all listed there: Modify Roaming and Mesh Options on Deco

Options
2023-01-26 21:22:25

@Riley_S 

Thanks for this information @Riley_S. Looking at the page I realized the my Deco version is v1.6, so wondering if that will play a part in the ability to get these upgrades. I know that this is an older version so I potentially may not get these newer and fun firmware updates.

Options
2023-01-26 21:35:37

@Fizzius,

We do not know for sure what hardware models will get the feature, as it may even come down to a hardware compatibility that prevents models from receiving the feature. However, your device will also follow the firmware releases for the 1.0 Version, which received a 1.5.1 update last year. I would also double check to see if you are running the 1.5.1 firmware, as the update did add a few features, such as the optimization button for the network.

I would expect that as a V1 model it will be one of the later models to receive the feature as it appears they are starting with the newest decos and working their way back. You are still using a popular deco model, so I am sure that they are looking at the X60s also.

Options
2023-01-27 15:23:32

@Riley_S 

Thanks Riley. I have checked multiple times through the Deco app and it is showing that I am running the following:
- Deco x3600 (3 nodes, all updated to current firmware)

- Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20221115 Rel. 52180

- Hardware Version: v1.6 (listed on both the box and the units themselves)

With that said, according to the downloads page under support, that is the most current firmware of this hardware version.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 606

Replies: 8