KP405 - Just turns off and on arbitrarily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-09 03:49:53
Model: KP405  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8

KP405 is controlling LED Outdoor Patio lighting.  About 30 feet from the WiFi router on the other side of a brick wall.  Up until tonight no issue but this evening the light will just power off and then power on arbitrarily.  Checked the KasaSmart app on my iPhone.  When the lights are out the apps show the plug still on.  I can press the power icon on the app and the lights will power on.  This has happened several times this evening that we ended up just removing the smart plug and connecting the LED lights directly to the AC plug.  No issues with the lights/plug so that rule out the LED lights or the power outlet.

This setup has been in place probably for the last 9 months so the plug has endured the harsh Texas summer and mild winter temperatures.

What is the next step to correct this device?

Options
2 Reply
Re:KP405 - Just turns off and on arbitrarily
2023-01-10 00:43:16

@JohnSimpson,

Just to make sure, the LED lights that you have connected are capable of dimming, correct? The KP405 is one of the only Kasa Plugs to be capable of delivering a lower power amount depending on the brightness. If the LEDs have a minimum threshold or are not capable of dimming, a fluctuation in the power could cause the lights to shutoff for safety.

For next/first steps; I would recommend resetting the plug using either a soft or factory reset and reconnect to your network; if you think that it is a network setting still; I would try to set an IP reservation on your router for the device. 

When the behavior next occurs, try disconnecting your phone from your home network and then attempt to control the plug via a cellular connection. If it cannot be controlled, it would indicate that the plug has lost its cloud connection.

Options
Re:KP405 - Just turns off and on arbitrarily
2023-01-10 09:17:58

If your WiFi signal is weak, your smart plug will fail to maintain a connection with the server and may switch off on its own. If the connection is regained, the smart plug will resume its activities.

Some smart plugs display a “connection lost” notification, but others can be more obscure about the dropped connect. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 386

Replies: 2

Related Articles