Archer AX-1800: How can I use my USB scanner with the USB port on my AX-1800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-10 02:50:25
Tags: #USB
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I have a USB Flatbed scanner that I'd like to plug into my AX-1800. The download center is focused on printers, device storage, and media serving. This is maddening.

My Netgear router with USB port came with an app for my Windows 10 PC that would show the scanner and let me connect to it and then all of my software could use the scanner like it was plugged directly into my PC. Surely there is a way to do this with the AX-1800?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX-1800: How can I use my USB scanner with the USB port on my AX-1800
2023-01-10 22:32:42

@CoinMLS 

I don't think you can do that?

I know some 'older' routers had 'Print Servers' included, but with printers now being capable of connecting to a LAN, most if not all new ones no longer support that.

Looking at the V3 Emulator (https://emulator.tp-link.com/Archer%20AX1800v3.6_US_simulator/#storageSharing) does specify a 'printer', nor does the manual (https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-ax20&ax1800_v1/chapter-7-usb-settings-us-4.0#ug-sub-title-1) which only lists Storage, Media Server (DLNA), or Time Machine.

You could get a Print Server that would connect to your LAN and it would work that way?

My HP All-In-One connects to the LAN, but the s/w to access it came from HP, and not TP-Link nor when I had a Netgear router.

Might check with the Scanner Maker and see what they suggest for connecting the Scanner to the LAN?

Options
2023-01-11 02:43:39

@IrvSp Well you can with Netgear.

You're thinking about it wrong. It's not really a function of the router where the router makes a resource (such as printer or hard drive) available to the entire network. For Netgear it was a function that basically acted as a USB port forwarder or USB proxy, or remote USB port. It made the USB resource, such as my scanner, available to anyone on the network that used the app and connected to it. 

Since a scanner is not a printer there are no printer drivers to install or point the printer server to.

TP-Link support replied to me earlier and validated that the scanner wouldn't work through the router's USB port. Super disappointing. Perhaps there is some opensource freeware or a utility someone out there wrote. I don't think it would be very complicated since all it does is forward a USB port, but I'm not a software dev.

Options
2023-01-11 12:51:19

@CoinMLS 

Yes, it IS a function of the router.

What Netgear model are you talking about by the way? Does it have the Printer Server function listed or in the Help say you can connect a printer?

Many years ago, I had a Netgear router, an R7000 I recall. At some point in time, Netgear changed the f/w to drop from it DLNA server and Printer Server. Put in a Network Security function (paid offering) in its place as I recall.

The Printer Server was what allowed a Printer or other device that had a USB cable output to work.

All-In-One printers need that server to work as well. No server, it can't handle the correct protocol.

I think your option is another router that would support the Scanner (and probably lists Printer Server for the USB port) or another device like I referenced that would turn the scanner into a network device. Those will convert the USB cable to a Wireless device and should handle the protocol required. Doubt it, buy one  you can return easily, like from Amazon.

It is all determined on the router what the f/w supports. A DLNA server (usually a Samba Server), and File System that can work with hard drives. Time Machine too required the function in the F/W.

Some TP-Link Routers do have that function, see https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/415/ and check the Applies to Pulldown for models.

Options
2023-01-16 07:05:21

@IrvSp It was a Netgear EX7000 AC1900. Basically the Netgear must run some sort of a USB port server and then you run Netgear USB Control Center app on the client machine. It's a much more universal way to provide this functionality as you could use USB cameras or any USB device this way.

It would be similar to running some software I found called USB Over Network. usb-over-network (dot) com  This would require a computer to connect the it to though and costs $150. The devices you speak of that make a USB port accessible on a network are $200-300+. 

I can plug the old Netgear into the TP Link but I was just hoping for and expecting a more elegant solution. Like I said or implied, it wouldn't be hard for TP-Link to add this capability and open up capability to endless possibilities.

Options
2023-01-16 12:59:07

@CoinMLS 

It isn't just add the required function though. It is that space on the router has to be there for it.

Netgear removed function from my R7000 to put in paid for security function.

Google "Wireless USB Print Server" and you can find many well under $50 USD. I've used one a LONG time ago before printers were wireless to connect a printer to the LAN/Router.

Scanner's should be the same as a printer. However, the trick could be getting the PC to recognize it. Depends on the S/W on the PC I guess? Might want to buy one from Amazon so you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

These dieices work differently from what you linked to. That is for the program you linked to, you need 2 PC's, both connect to the LAN and the program has 2 versions, the Client and Server. Essentially I suspect the Server is a priinter Server itself that connects to the LAN via the PC. The Client on the other PC sees the share on the other PC and converts that to a printer/scanner as if it is connected to that client PC.

The devices I'm, talking about are USB devices you plug the scanner into. It has built-in wireless and connects to the router. The trick here is the PC side. You have to have a way to see a device that connects to an IP Address.

I have an HP All-In-One connected to my router via its built-in wireless connection. On my PC, I have HP S/W that can use either that printer connected DIRECTLY to my PC's USB port OR an IP Address. If on Windows, it might work fine finding a printer/scanner via IP Address if you used the Setting under BLUETOOTH & DEVICES, PRINTERS, Add a Device. I just tried that and even though I already had the Printer connected via HP S/W, it found the printer anyway and I could add it as another printer it seemed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 383

Replies: 5

Tags

USB