Totally baffled - wireless clients disconnect when I leave the area.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-16 16:14:55
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 20220714 rel 75573

Wireless clients disconnect when I leave the area and reconnect when I return

I have a Archer A7 with a EAP 225 as a AP, the wireless is off on the A7. There are wall mounted garage door openers (Genie) that are wirelessly connected to the AP. Everything works great on the Aladdin app until I drive away, then the openers disconnect from the wifi. They stay offline until I return to the area and like magic, they reconnect.

I thought there must be a issue with the openers so I changed one out with a Liftmaster opener and the MyQ app does the same thing. I can watch both apps drop offline and reconnect when I return to the site.

Back story:

I had the openers connected just to the A7 and the router was doing the same thing but I could not connect to the router remotely and found that the spectrum modem was the issue causing the router go offline. I had the modem changed out and now the remote connection to the router is solid and I can log into see that the A7 / EAP225 is still connected after the openers disconnect. There are wired security cameras on the router with static IP addresses that never drop connection.

I thought the signal may be weak at the openers so I added the AP closer to the openers.

Things tried:

I have defaulted the router, set a DHCP reservation for the openers MAC address, set a QoS for the AP, Changed out the cable to the AP, tried a different A8 router, checked all the recommended settings in the openers in the router settings -( ie. Setting channel, port Fwd.) shut off the routers wifi so just AP was connected. Removed the AP and just tried the router closer to the opener. The site has a static IP address and I have shut off the wifi to the modem. As stated above, I have even changed out one of the openers with a different brand.

I have another location with the same setup with a A7 with default settings and it has no issues at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations or have seen anything like this ??? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Totally baffled - wireless clients disconnect when I leave the area.
2023-01-18 01:16:15

@jmcu I am not sure I understand the problem, but if I do, is there any chance your cell phone is setup as a hotspot with the same SSID as your wireless AP?  Most phones with hotspot features will turn it off if no clients are connected for a period of time, but that is really the only scenario I can think of that would explain the behavior described if I in fact understand it correctly.

In other words, you openers actually connect to your phone hotspot, that you leave with, and then only reconnect when you return.  It does not explain why they would not connect to the AP network but would explain the other behavior.  I would check authentication settings with AP and see if that helps.  Update firmware if possible as well.

The other issue may also be that the EAP225 is not really intended for use as an AP outside of the Onada management system but since it works ok in another setup, I would make sure the firmware is up to date on all your devices and verify WPA2 authentication settings are properly set.

Options
2023-01-18 01:59:00

@pcuttle Thanks for the reply. My phone does not have Hotspot enabled but I thought of the same thing about the connecting when I return. All items are updated with the latest FW.

Today I tried a factory reset on the A7 and just had the AP with the openers on it, shutn off wifi on thr A7 and removed the cameras, same thing happened.

I replaced the A7 with a linksys AC1200, shut of the wifi and just put the AP with the openers. I left the area to test and after 10 mins the connection was there.. I thought it must of been a bad A7 so I connected the wired cams back to the new router..

As I went to leave the openers disconnected but the router and cameras were still connected. 

I thought the cameras must be causing some type of interference even though they have a static IP.  So I removed them and just left the AP on the LS router and put the cameras back on the A7.

I get half way home and the openers are disconnected again but have connection to the LS router and I can see the EAP225 with no clients connected. 

The only thing I can think of to do next is to remove the EAP and see if just the new router alone will keep the connection to openers, or replace the EAP. I was using this at home without any issues. 

I just don't understand how the connection can reconnect on its own only when I return, I even tried shutting off wifi  and BT. I have set up many networks and have never seen anything like this. 

Options
2023-01-18 12:12:13

@jmcu It does seem odd.  The only other thought I have at this time is that they are not actually dropping offline but appear to once you leave.  You lose visbility to the status, and the appear offline, unless you are connected to the local network on the phone.  Perhaps the cloud connectivity of the Genie openers is not working correctly making the Aladdin app think they are offline.  Once you and your phone are on the same network, they appear online because the app is not relying on cloud services for the status.  Have you tried to dis-enroll and re-enroll the openers, verify cloud account settings, etc ... ?

Options