Lower speeds on access point than on main router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-16 22:26:46 - last edited 2023-01-16 22:34:44
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am having issues with low speeds on the router I have setup in AP mode.

Here is my current setup:

Fiber to the Home connection 500 mbps up /130 mbps down

1. Main router (not TP Link product but AX3000) on 1st floor in Office.

2. AP router (Archer AX1800) set to AP mode in basement.

3. Ethernet cable (Cat 5e) connected to LAN port of main router and connected to WAN port on AP router.

4. Both routers have different SSID's and each has both bands enabled.

5. On AP, 2.4 Ghz band set to 40Mhz and 5Ghz band set to 80 Mhz

6. Channel interference is minimal, quite a bit of distance between houses where I live.

For speed tests, I am using both a laptop (connected wirelessly) using Fast.com and my Android phone using an App called NetSpot.

When connected to the main router's 5 Ghz WiFi, I get full speed that I am paying for down and up.

When I connect to the AP's 5 Ghz WiFi, I am maxing out at 100 mbps. 

Weird thing is, when I look at the Wifi connection on my phone, it says connected at 720 mbps, but only reaches 100 mbps during speed test.

The AP's 2.4 Ghz connection is even worse, maybe 40-50 mbps.

These tests were all performed standing within 3-5 feet from the access point.

I followed TP Link's video for setting router into AP mode.

When I was using the Archer AX-1800 router as my main, I was getting the 500 down / 130 up also.

The LAN ports on the main router are listed as being Gigabit.

What am I missing?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Lower speeds on access point than on main router
2023-01-17 13:15:05 - last edited 2023-01-17 13:21:13

@egclassic 

My first inclination is that the AP router is only negotiating a 100 mbp Ethernet link with the main router .  This would explain the speeds you are experiencing.  If you made that cable yourself, try redoing each end, one at a time to see if it helps.  A "noisey" cable due to bad terminations, poor cable quality, OLD cable, RF interference, etc..., can cause Ethernet links to negotiate the lower speeds.  If it is a particularly long run, or is run near power cables, consider using shielded (STP) cable.  Just remember, you will need shielded RJ-45 connectors (metal ends).  If you are not familiar with how to properly use STP, terminate the cables and grounding, a little Google and YouTube can do the trick.  Many people use STP wrong by not ensuring the shielding is terminated to the metal casing and the jacks actually have a ground.  STP would be the overkill solution and most home / SOHO routers do not provide for shield grounding natively so you would have to do it in the wall drop.

All that said, their may be a setting in either/both routers that also may effect speed negotiations but I would look at the cable as most default to auto negotiate.  You can also try forcing the 1GB speed if settings allow.  I hope this helps.

Options
Re:Lower speeds on access point than on main router
2023-01-21 19:54:25

@egclassic 

I am having a few issues with the AX1800 as well. Specifically dealing with the internet port. I am currently in correspondence with an engineer from TP-Link. I am curious. Have you tried removing the cable from the internet port on the AX1800 and plugging it into one of the 4 Lan ports on the AP? Try this and share your results please. Thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 459

Replies: 2

Related Articles