Hard wired printer not working since installing new router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-18 19:37:56
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I installed a new router -Archer AX55 yesterday.  Everything is working fine with the exception of a hard wired printer.  I am looking for help as to why and could I have plugged the printer cord incorrectly.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Hard wired printer not working since installing new router.
2023-01-19 04:38:29

@ValRob How is the printer connected?  USB, Ethernet?  If the printer is connected via Ethernet, network cable, then it is possible it had a static IP on the old router that is on a different network than the new router.  Different manufacturers default the routers local network to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.  So, if the printer had a static IP on the old router of 192.168.0.111, it would not work on a new router that used 192.168.1.1 as the default network.  So, the best fix is to have an IP reservation in the DHCP settings of the new router to whatever IP you want for the printer that is consistent with the routers local IP and than set the printer up for DHCP.  Or set a static IP in the printer that matches the network of the new router.  So, if the new router is 192.168.1.1, then set a static IP in the printer for something in the upper range like .222 to avoid other devices being provisioned that IP.  A DHCP reservation in the router is the best option IMHO.  Google can help if I did not mae too much sense.

I hope this helps abd good luck.

Options
Re:Hard wired printer not working since installing new router.
2023-01-19 19:06:25

@ValRob 

Wel, as mentioned by @pcuttle, the IP Address for the printer could be wrong it my best guess too?

As for plugging it in wrong, doubt it, but exactly how did you connect it to the Router, Ethernet or USB?

AX55 doesn't support a Printer on USB. So that shouldn't work. What router did you have before and how was it connected it may I ask?

Assuming it is Ethernet to one of the rear ports, then it probably is the IP Address. If on Windows, got to the Settings (ALT+I) and select Bluetooth & devices and use the Add device box. It should find the printer easily if it has an IP Address. You might need to re-install the Printer S/W to pick up the new device though.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 2