Reboot Schedule - Is this recommended?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-20 16:36:40 - last edited 2023-01-20 21:45:18
Tags: #Reboot Schedule
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20221125 rel.68607(5553)

Hi TP-Link Community!

First time posting a thread. As I'm learning more and more about these products, which I have become a big fan of, I'm trying to understand more about the Reboot Schedule option on my router and how necessary it is. From my little bit of knowledge and research, it seems as though rebooting on some sort of a schedule is recommended. But I'm more interested to hear from you all on recommendations on how often this should be done and what are the pro's and con's. 

Thanks for any information!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Reboot Schedule - Is this recommended?-Solution
2023-01-20 18:53:17 - last edited 2023-01-20 21:45:18

Hey  @aichja,

Welcome to the Forums!

It is recommended but not necessary to reboot your network. If you feel like you start to experience a slower connection or higher latency as time passes, then the reboot schedule is recommended.

Wi-fi routers all have a memory just the same as a phone or computer does, over time, this memory may fill and decrease the performance of the network. When the router is rebooted this will be wiped and the network will have the entire allocated memory to work with. The reboot will also clear any settings that may have been causing interruptions. Essentially, it will do the same thing to your network, as a reboot does to your phone or computer. Placing the reboot on a schedule simply means that it is one less thing to worry about.

I would honestly recommend attempting to configure the setting, and then observe if any of your devices have issues reconnecting to the network. If devices have trouble reconnecting, it may be well worth your time to either set longer periods, or disable the feature and reboot manually when you begin to feel the network slowing. Devices reconnecting to the network have always been the issue that prevents me from rebooting more often

As for how often, I think it would be dependent on both the amount of devices connected to the network, and the bandwidth used by the connections; as these will both affect how quickly the RAM is used on the router. If you have only a few devices, your network may only need to be restarted on a monthly basis; whereas a network approaching the maximum number of connected devices may have to schedule a weekly reboot.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Reboot Schedule - Is this recommended?-Solution
2023-01-20 18:53:17 - last edited 2023-01-20 21:45:18

Hey  @aichja,

Welcome to the Forums!

It is recommended but not necessary to reboot your network. If you feel like you start to experience a slower connection or higher latency as time passes, then the reboot schedule is recommended.

Wi-fi routers all have a memory just the same as a phone or computer does, over time, this memory may fill and decrease the performance of the network. When the router is rebooted this will be wiped and the network will have the entire allocated memory to work with. The reboot will also clear any settings that may have been causing interruptions. Essentially, it will do the same thing to your network, as a reboot does to your phone or computer. Placing the reboot on a schedule simply means that it is one less thing to worry about.

I would honestly recommend attempting to configure the setting, and then observe if any of your devices have issues reconnecting to the network. If devices have trouble reconnecting, it may be well worth your time to either set longer periods, or disable the feature and reboot manually when you begin to feel the network slowing. Devices reconnecting to the network have always been the issue that prevents me from rebooting more often

As for how often, I think it would be dependent on both the amount of devices connected to the network, and the bandwidth used by the connections; as these will both affect how quickly the RAM is used on the router. If you have only a few devices, your network may only need to be restarted on a monthly basis; whereas a network approaching the maximum number of connected devices may have to schedule a weekly reboot.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Reboot Schedule - Is this recommended?
2023-01-20 21:45:10

Hi @Riley_S,

Thanks for gettin back to me on this! Definitely helpful information. We all know how useful the reboot option is for all devices in life smiley

I'll keep this in mind for my network. 

Have a good one!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1070

Replies: 2

Tags

Reboot Schedule
Related Articles