Votes

[Request] - Support for IKEv2 in router VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 16:49:59 - last edited 2023-01-24 21:47:37

Currently, I use OpenVPN protocol under UDP. 
From what I've learned OpenVPN can be quite slow, and I am experiencing this. I am getting 220 down/50 up, while when I use the VPN local client app (instead of the OpenVPN in the router) I get  700 down/ 450 up. 

From what I read, using protocol IKEv2 could improve dramatically these speeds. Are there any plans to implement this protocol on your top-of-the-line routers?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[Request] - Support for IKEv2 in router VPN Client-Solution
2023-01-24 21:41:56 - last edited 2023-01-24 21:47:37

@SamHS,

The beta firmware is not a general public test across models, the beta is specifically to test the Wireguard functionality and determine if the feature can be added in a general firmware update. 

I usually try to keep active betas pinned to the correct forum module. The Wireguard Beta is relatively recent, being the first to have the update tried on the hardware. The AX11000 is PLANNED to have the Wireguard feature added via a later firmware update, however, the feature is currently limited to the AX55 beta test right now. As the feature is rolled out to more devices, we may have a better idea of which models will receive the feature and when.

The beta firmware for the AX11000 that was posted to the forums is no longer relevant, as the VPN client feature has now been pushed to the official release in the last firmware update.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:[Request] - Support for IKEv2 in router VPN Client
2023-01-24 18:00:26 - last edited 2023-01-24 18:00:35

@SamHS,

I will have to look into this VPN protocol. The community team most recently passed a feature request report to the rest of the team regarding support for Wireguard VPN connections, which are already far faster than the speeds that the OpenVPN protocols was capable of. I actually use wiregurad VPNs on my own personal network.

The ability to configure wireguard VPNs has already been added to the Archer AX55 through a beta firmware update available on the forums. I would assume that this will first roll out to more devices before another protocol is added, however, I will start looking into the benefits and technology of the protocol for future consideration.

Options
2023-01-24 19:07:43
Thank you for your consideration. You've mentioned that the beta firmware for the AX55 has support for Wireguard, does AX11000 has a similar beta firmware with support for Wireguard? Where is it available?
Options
Re:[Request] - Support for IKEv2 in router VPN Client-Solution
2023-01-24 21:41:56 - last edited 2023-01-24 21:47:37

@SamHS,

The beta firmware is not a general public test across models, the beta is specifically to test the Wireguard functionality and determine if the feature can be added in a general firmware update. 

I usually try to keep active betas pinned to the correct forum module. The Wireguard Beta is relatively recent, being the first to have the update tried on the hardware. The AX11000 is PLANNED to have the Wireguard feature added via a later firmware update, however, the feature is currently limited to the AX55 beta test right now. As the feature is rolled out to more devices, we may have a better idea of which models will receive the feature and when.

The beta firmware for the AX11000 that was posted to the forums is no longer relevant, as the VPN client feature has now been pushed to the official release in the last firmware update.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-24 21:47:29
Got you. I'll be looking forward to this feature. I would be very much interested to be in the loop for these new features. I've requested to enroll in the beta testing community. Hopefully, I'll get it approved. Thank you very much for the prompt replies.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 450

Replies: 4

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.