C5400X Wifi stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-26 17:07:54
Tags: #wifi
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20211222

I've had the router for about 3 years, never had a problem things always ran smooth.  This morning after its daily reboot, the wifi on it had severe issues.  The wifi sometimes shows up as available on my phone and sometimes it does not show up in my available list of wifi's to connect to.  If I try to connect to it, it attempts to connect and stops doing so within a second.  All of the wifi devices in my home show the same issue.  LAN connection works just fine.  I've tried to mess with the wireless settings, with things like smart connect, different band widths and channels.  I've done a factory reset through the UI and that didn't work.  I'm not seeing anything in the system log indicating that its having a hard time otherwise.  I've even updated to the latest firmware just to see if it would do anything

Before I consider the wifi on the device in a physical broken state, is there anything else to try?  I feel like I've run out of options.

Options
2 Reply
Re:C5400X Wifi stopped working
2023-01-27 01:40:01

@kips 

Update: physical factory reset did not work.  Air cleaned out the unit, didn't work.  Pulled out the antennas and put them back in different locations, didn't work.  In further testing I've come to the conclusion that the issue must be on the board inside the router somewhere.  I am still able to get a wifi signal with the strongest transmit settings on the router turned on, but I have to be within a few feet of the device now, where I could be a good 30-40 feet away and still get a signal.  This router has been unmoved since I installed it 3 years ago, but it looks like its wifi is dead.  Now its just a really expensive switch.

Options
Re:C5400X Wifi stopped working
2023-01-27 19:43:27

@kips,

Sorry to hear about the issues you had. Unfortunately, if the router had been working correctly for such a long period of time, there might be something that failed internally. I would've recommended a factory reset to fix any issues that may have been from settings. 

Given that the network can still connect, it is just not broadcasting correctly, I think you are correct in what you stated. One thing that I would try, is configuring the device as an Access Point to see if the unit is still only able to broadcast a few feet.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 2

Tags

wifi
Related Articles