Deco is a terrible router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-30 15:58:55
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Honestly, the worst router I've ever owned.

This thing disconnects at the drop of a hat. I've had to delete and recreate the wifi network almost 12 times since owning it because if the little light turns red, it won't just reconnect to the existing network, and the only fix I've found is to delete and reconnect.

And when I told TP link support that they should allow an alternate way to set up the wifi network instead of having to use the app, they treated me like an idiot.

I've never had so many issues with a router. Unfortunately it was a gift and I don't have a receipt or I'd be returning it ASAP.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco is a terrible router
2023-01-30 22:30:52

@DecoSucks2,

If you can provide more information regarding how your network is set up, we may be able to help. 

From the sound of it, you may have two routers operating on your network, meaning that the settings and IP addresses are constantly conflicting and causing dropouts.

If you are using the modem from your ISP, it may have routing functionalities that may need to be disabled in order to use the Deco Network in Router Mode.

Otherwise, I would recommend configuring the nodes in AP mode, as this will prevent conflicts from happening.

In regards to the setup process, the Deco platform has always been an app-oriented ecosystem, as this can be updated far more easily than a router's firmware can be, and the Deco Platform  The Deco platform has just started to receive updates that brings a WebUI, however many settings are still only found in the app. If you are looking for a more conventional router with more configuration settings, I would recommend looking at the Archer series of routers.

Options
2023-03-25 16:46:59

@Riley_S what gives the impression that I have two routers on the network? I didn't state that anywhere in the post. I only have the Deco.

The only reason I made the suggestion of a web UI was because it's asinine that if I can't get the inherent wifi the Deco uses to resolve correctly and my phone to detect it, it's basically a 300 dollar paper weight since the setup won't complete.

Seriously, who had the bright idea of an app as primary setup when webUI is 1000x superior since I don't need to rely on this piece of garbage to do what it's supposed to do. What if somebody buys this at the recommendation of TPlink, like my family did, and doesn't have internet available during setup? Probably just a way for TPlink to more easily harvest user data.

It feels like TPlink is trained to give non-answers, since you didn't really ask for any information in your reply and made wild assumptions based on very little information.

Options
2023-03-27 03:23:22

@DecoSucks2 

he gave you that answer because that is what would happen if you had two devices acting as DHCP servers handing out IP addresses on your network. like Riley said, give us a better idea of your network map. using wifi only backhaul? ethernet? using the main deco attached to your modem via ethernet cable directly to the modems WAN port? who is your cable provider? model of modem? which Deco model? are they set up in accesspoint or routing mode? help us help you.

ive been using TP Link for years and have set up Deco mesh at my house, and both of my parents houses without any complication. i recently switched over to the Deco X50's but decided to go full Omada so grabbed some EAP-610's to replace them. never had any issues with TP Link.

Options