Same SSID for different bands?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-19 14:45:56
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm considering switching from my aging Netgear router that's been acting up lately, and the AX55 comes highly recommended. Our router is set up as an AP off of a WOW cable modem/DVD box, so I'm familiar with the basic setup procedures. After looking over the PDF user guide, my only question at this time is if the AX55 supports having the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands like the Netgear router has.

The main reason this is important is that as time goes along we keep adding all sorts of new gadgets with Wifi connections -- everything from AV devices to smartplugs, etc. I'd really hate to have to go back and redefine any of those connections since I've long since forgotten how to set them up laugh. I do maintain a separate SSID for the WOW box since it's in a poor location and is generally just weak and slow and currently only connect to it when the Netgear router flakes out.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Same SSID for different bands?
2023-02-20 01:21:08

@rochrunner 

Your post might be somewhat confusing and I think you are asking 2 different questions?

1. the AX55 supports having the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands like the Netgear router has.

2. I do maintain a separate SSID for the WOW box since it's in a poor location and is generally just weak and slow and currently only connect to it when the Netgear router flakes out.

So, for #2, no need to change that at all.

#1, I think you are talking about "Smart Connect". That is where the SAME SSID and P/W is used for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID. Yes, that IS an option on the AX55. You need to used the same SSID and P/W as on the Netgear. However, check the Security and Encryption used to make sure the AX55 is using the same one. In some cases, the wrong type might not allow a device to connect. Also use the SAME Channel, as some higher ones or DFS ones might also not work on all devices.

Another thing to consider, did you have FIXED or RESERVED IP Addressses? If so, you'll need to recreate those on the AX55.

There are TWO versions of the AX55 available. The 1.0 and 1.6 (should be on the box, but will be on the router when you get it) and they differ generally only in where it was made and possible different internal parts, but they do perform the same.

Go here, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax55/ and select the proper version. You can then d/l the correct User's Guide and it will answer probably all your questions.

Options
2023-02-20 13:34:57

@IrvSp Thanks for the good info and a couple reminders of settings from the Netgear router to write down before installing a new one. The 2nd "issue" about the separate SSID was a statement, not really a question, and I'm not sure why I threw it in there. I found it to be useful in cases where the Netgear router seems to disappear. I've been doing home networking since the earliest days in the 90s and still have some "thinnet" Ethernet coax cabling running through the walls and attic somewhere wink . But in recent years I have not kept up with the latest technology at all and find these forums to be helpful in reminding me what has to be done.

Options
2023-02-20 13:59:15

@rochrunner 

I by the way NEVER use SmartConnect....

For a few reasons:

• When moving from one router to another, the 'implementation' may not be the same.That is how the router allocates band usage. This is more the case with multi--band devices. Some will always put the higher ones on the 5Ghz band for instance, while others might do 'load leveling' in that it strives to keep equal count of devices on each band.
  • Some will also move as in change bands a device is connected to to even the number on a band.

These 2 are or can be performance issues.

For instance, a device that can work on 5Ghz placed on the 2.4Ghz band will not work at top performance as the band limits it. In addition, if you have AX 802.11 speed devices, which should be on the 5Ghz band, if an N speed device is put on that band, it could slow the AX devices down (depends on activity).

I keep my AX devices on 5Ghz band and all others on the 2.4Ghz band. Including the AC speed devices I have to get the best performance out of the AX devices.

My ISP speed is 500Mbps down now, and in factuality I can co-mingle AC and AX devices without degradation. However, my ISP is moving us up to 1Gps soon, so that is why now I have the AX devices kept separate.

Here are some links that might be worthwhile reading:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2595/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/

https://www_digitalcitizen_life/smart-connect/ (replace '_' with '.', can't link non-TPLink links here)

Options
2023-02-20 16:33:17

@IrvSp I used to keep them separate and maybe, based on your post, I might go back to doing it that way. If I set the 2.4GHz SSID to the current one that the Netgear is using, all currently configured devices should connect OK and then I can set a 5G SSID and connect to that one from devices where it would really matter, e.g., smartphones, tablets, Roku, etc. I see no reason why low-level smart devices or even printers, etc., would require higher speeds. Our network is really not all that busy most of the time.

Thanks again for your helpful tips.

Options
2023-02-20 18:05:57

@rochrunner

rochrunner wrote

@IrvSp I used to keep them separate and maybe, based on your post, I might go back to doing it that way. If I set the 2.4GHz SSID to the current one that the Netgear is using, all currently configured devices should connect OK and then I can set a 5G SSID and connect to that one from devices where it would really matter, e.g., smartphones, tablets, Roku, etc. I see no reason why low-level smart devices or even printers, etc., would require higher speeds. Our network is really not all that busy most of the time.

Thanks again for your helpful tips.

First, not all devices you quoted need to be on 5Ghz, certainly NOT Roku (if it is even a 5Ghz device?). Streaming doesn't require great speed, 10Mbps usually is good enough.

Tablets too, depending on what you do?

Where does 5Ghz give you the most bang? D/L's, heavy uploads, live video (sometimes).

Have you ever looked at your PC's Internet usage over time?

I'm on MY PC and opened Task Manager to the Performance tab and selected the Wireless device:

1effe0327dad4ea2bec118b371d16626

The larger line spike is IN and the smaller is OUT. Only my PC, and all I was doing was typing this... There is a LOT of stuff happening in the background. Have camera's? Heck, my Coffee pot and fridge is even connect to the Internet.... so is my HP printer that uses Instant Ink... HP accesses it periodically to see if I need ink? Not to mention ALL the programs I have that 'call home' checking for updates... There is a lot happening you can't see or know it accessing the Internet. Now multiply that by all the devices you have.

Options