Parental Controls - Chromebook still online after designated bed time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-24 01:11:33
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20221128 rel. 45807

I have parental controls in place and they appear to work for the most part.  I have bed time scheduled from 10pm to 7am.  A Chromebook is assigned under the profile with the bedtime and it still shows data flowing. I also ask my daughter during this time frame and she confirms she is still able to use Google Chats.  I decided to assign the device to a new profile with the same bedtime and it still continues to have access to the network.  If I select the 'pause' option the device no longer has access.  I understand the work around but I prefer the automation process.  I could also setup the Google family option but again prefer just having the network block the traffic at bedtime.  Has anyone else discovered this and found a solution?  

Options
3 Reply
Re:Parental Controls - Chromebook still online after designated bed time
2023-03-03 19:51:43

@AnthonyWherry,

I know that there are cases where existing traffic, such as a discord voice chat, will continue through the parental controls as the function operates by blocking new incoming and outgoing requests, but this doesn't necessarily fit the bill.

I do have to say that what you are experiencing is not usual, especially since the pause function can still block the connections. It does seem that there are users that have reported similar behaviors with other network-level parental controls not working with chromebooks.

From a quick glance, a few users mentioned that it looks like there may be settings enabled for either the network or browser on the Chromebook that causes the device to use a DNS server that is different from what is set on the network. This does somewhat make sense, since the pause function of the network looks at the connected device as a whole, rather than the traffic.

Since the parental control service is run by google, and your daughter is completely in the Google ecosystem with a Chromebook, I would honestly recommend looking at the options offered for just their services. No matter what, these will be the most effective methods as the traffic will be blocked at Google's server, rather than by your router. 

Options
2023-03-05 17:25:08

@Riley_S 

Hello Riley!

Thank you for the details; I was hoping not to have multiple parental controls but the kids these days are getting smarter!

Much Appreciated!

Anthony W

Options
2023-03-06 18:45:34

@AnthonyWherry,

Unfortunately, privacy has become such an important factor when buying devices that many controls have been added. While beneficial in most cases, it also makes parental controls a nightmare and a half due to how many workarounds there are. Our team has been hard at work to try and create new methods of detecting these workarounds when connected to your network, and you should begin to see some of these features soon. At CES, HomeShield 3.0 was announced, which includes a new KidShield program that will allow parents finite control over network activity and better control over what is and isn't allowed on your family's devices. We have not seen too too much on the release, however, we should see the features added soon.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 4