Deco M5 Seems to Hate Netflix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-27 22:41:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Something about my 2 year-old Deco System seems to hate Netflix. 

An LG BluRay player w/wireless that works fine with other streaming services chokes very, very freqently with Netflix.  It's generally unusable.  Freezes.  Buffer failures.  Have to re-enter LinkSys system credentials repeatedly.  Awful. 

A Roku device connected directly to the Deco give strange errors that pop up on the screen.  The message screen only flashes for a second.  Something about synching.  The Roku device works perfectly when I hard wire it either directly to a separate cable modem also installed in the house or to the same cable modem as the Deco but indirectly via a standard switch.  

In other words the Deco cannot "feed" Rocko either fully wirelessly or wired as if it were a switch when connected to the very same cable modem using the other connection on the same Deco unit.  

What's up?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Seems to Hate Netflix
2023-02-28 00:07:11

Hey  @SwampeastMike,

If its happening periodically, I would imagine that it may be related to the DHCP lease being refreshed for the connection. The switch is most likely acting as an intermediary while the new lease is being given.

A few things you may try:

Try setting an IP reservation for the devices that are buffering, this would eliminate the need for the DHCP lease to be refreshed.

Disable the advanced networking features in the deco app for your device, such as mesh networking, beamforming, and fast roaming. If a device does not support these newer wireless standards, it may have hiccups in their connection while they are reconnecting to the network.

Sometimes the encryption setting, if using an older standard, can cause the disconnects; you could try a different security standard.

Lastly, If your deco is using a wireless connection for its backhaul, please ensure that it is not too far away and is able to maintain a consistent connection to the main network.

Options
2023-02-28 02:12:39

@Riley_S

3138636Thank you.  I will check those things.  Transmission distance is not a problem.  It's about two feet.  I'm a test subject with the cable company and have a multi-modem setup.  Don't ask.  They were literally breaking for a while.  

A couple hours later I tried the Roku device in the same Deco again.  This time it worked perfectly.  It's crazy.  It always works perfect on my "test modem" whatever that's really supposed to be...I just get different reactions from it than the "normal" modem.  Sometimes.  When it wants.  Or when it doesn't  Sometimes I seem to pin it down--then it moves again.  There's also an issue of "green snow" on some screens.  

Thanks again.  I'll check as you suggested and see if and when it makes any different when (and it IS when) prolems begain again. 

Options
2023-02-28 17:21:02

@SwampeastMike,

There was another thread mentioning that a specific smart device would connect to the network and not have an internet connection; they figured that it was a result of the high IP range that was being automatically assigned to the device. I recommend trying either a static IP on the roku if possible, and setting an IP reservation for the device. It may also be worth considering that you are having some sort of MAC cloning issue because you have multiple modems.

Options
2023-02-28 18:25:24

@Riley_S 

Most appreciated.  I'm still experimenting.

The second modem was purposefully removed from the rest of the system including of course the Decos and used soley as the source for the Roku device.  Nothing in the wing of the house with the test modem is presently a data consumer save that Roku on the "test" modem. 

I moved the Roku device to the "system" modem for experimentation connecting it both wired via a LAN connection on a Deco also directly connected to the second modem which at times will fail and to the modem via a switch where it [seems] to always work but I've only tested it once in this way.

I get different results at different times just as when using an LG BluRay player with wireless streaming ability and connected to an LG TV.  All have the most recent firmware/software updates..

Options
2023-03-01 01:47:50

@SwampeastMike,

I dont know how your ISP has the two modems set up, such as if they have separate public IPs; however I can say that the setup that you are using with a switch between the modem and the main deco will cause problems in the network. The DHCP server assigning IP addresses from the deco cannot look "upstream" towards the modem, and will only assign IPs to devices further down the line. As such try placing the switch on the local side of the main deco While the device is able to get a connection directly from the modem, you may only have one device communicating at a time, as it is all trying to use the same IP address from the modem. You may be having some luck with the setup, if your switch is somehow managing to juggle the connections and operate as a single device; almost operating as an Ethernet Hub, rather than a switch.

Options
2023-03-01 03:46:15

@Riley_S 

The switch is not normally installed in this "testing" system.  The Deco is normally connected direct to the "main" cable modem and the Roku device is normally the only thing connected to the other cable modem.  I was just moving the Roku for testing becuse Netflix had been largely unusable for days using the "main" modem. 

Previously I had both a hard-wired and wireless system and the switch was installed downstream of the Deco.  My original system worked fine.  The cable guys "idealized" the wireless needlessly (my opinion), killing the wired network in the office in the process so it now lives off internal Bluetooth connections to the desktop and printers.  It's a ridiculous situation involving "legacy" service and  having upgrade to downgrade or something like that and Netflix never streaming and never a problem with Prime before or after the "upgrade" and...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 6

Related Articles