2.4 Devices connect to less than ideal node after mesh reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-05 05:38:31
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20221121 Rel. 36691

Purchased my Deco from Costco.   Is labeled AXE5300.  Whenever I reboot my mesh router the 2.4 devices, including Ring cameras, Amcrest cameras, and Ring home alarm system devices connect to the mesh node that comes up first.   This always results in poor performance and connections to the wrong mesh node.  The resolution suggested was to reboot all my devices one at a time!  I told support that was not acceptable.  To address the situation I connected an extender to an Ethernet port on each mesh node and named each SSID uniquely.  I then pointed each effected device manually to the appropriate closest SSID.  Support told me this was a good idea.  I think it is stupid and defeats the purpose of having a mesh router.   Anyone having this issue come up with a better solution?    

Options
1 Reply
Re:2.4 Devices connect to less than ideal node after mesh reboot
2023-03-07 00:43:26

@AvacadoBob,

Unfortunately that is the case when a mesh network goes down. The main node will always be the first node to establish a connection and as soon as it begins broadcasting the SSID, the devices will immediately connect; meanwhile the satellite nodes are still establishing their connections.

Over time, the devices should either roam on their own or be managed by the Deco. For devices that do not roam, the best option is to reboot the device so it will reconnect to the correct node. You may check to see if fast roaming is available as an option for your network, as this will shorten the lease times and potentially allow your device to reconnect to the closest node.

Fortunately, our team has been rolling out Node Preference and Signal Source options to deco models over the last few months, which eases this concern. This is one of the newest features and has only been rolled out to a few models so far.  I do not believe that the XE75 has had its firmware updated to add the feature yet but when it does, the network will try to move the device to the node that you selected as preferable.

Honestly, connecting the devices to an RE is a pretty reliable method of forcing the connection to a specific node. For devices that you actively use, it basically is passing the responsibility of moving between SSIDs from the network to the device itself. So if you have a phone that can connect to both, your phone would actively look for which SSID is providing the strongest connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 422

Replies: 1

Related Articles