Votes

Option to hide IoT Network

Votes

Option to hide IoT Network

31 Reply
Re:Option to hide IoT Network
2024-02-02 16:00:10

@Riley_S 

Wondering if there has been any progress on adding this feature?

Options
2024-02-11 02:08:02

Hiding an SSID is pointless, it is still broadcast in the clear and can be seen by anyone in range with in seconds.

Also it forces clients to shout the SSID in the clear no matter where in the world they are. They can no longer passively listen for SSID broadcast. Not as much a problem for IoT network but normal ones for sure.

Options
2024-02-11 02:50:38 - last edited 2024-02-11 02:51:50

@Napsterbater It's not pointless to hide an IOT network.

1. When you have family and visitors uncomfortable with technology, it's beneficial to only broadcast a single network rather than confusing them with an additional IOT network.

2. Hiding an SSID is more secure than not. Although a hacker would easily find the network with a sniffing tool, it's still more secure than a network screaming "Here I am". Hiding an SSID is just one layer in a multilayered approach to securing a network.

It would be nice to have the option.

Options
2024-02-11 03:02:14

1. When you have family and visitors uncomfortable with technology, it's beneficial to only broadcast a single network rather than confusing them with an additional IOT network.

It's rare to only have 1 SSID in the area anyway, and a 2nd is hardly a big deal, just make its name random letters if it's concerning. It would clear it's not the one to connect to, you could even name it, "NOT THIS ONE"

2. Hiding an SSID is more secure than not. Although a hacker would easily find the network with a sniffing tool, it's still more secure than a network screaming "Here I am". Hiding an SSID is just one layer in a multilayered approach to securing a network.

And no, if you have WPA (or even WEP) anyone who can break that encryption is not going to be stopped or even delayed by a hidden SSID, its infinitely easier to find the SSID then break the encryption. And if you have no encryption, then hiding the SSID is the least of your issues.

And hiding, the SSID is arguably worse security because again EVERY device configured for the hidden SSID network broadcast a probe beacon with the SSID in the clear no matter where in the world they are, makes one much easier to track.

Options
2024-02-11 03:15:01
So to limit the scope of your trolling. Clearly there a population of users that would like to limit the visibility of their home networks. I will assume that anyone participating in this "feature request" topic is also using multiple security controls to secure their home network. If you wish to broadcast your IOT network then I encourage you to do so. TP-Link has provided you with that option. We would like the option to hide it.
Options
2024-02-11 14:55:10

@Riley_S I'm going to echo the ask to be able to hide the IoT network. It has to be oversight in engineering. The argument that some IoT devices do not connect well on hidden networks. If a consumer discovers this on their network, then they could unhide the IoT. Empower consumers to weigh security and convenience without inviting them to purchase additional add-on services.

Options
2024-02-11 17:51:50

My argument against it is three fold.

1. There is NO security benefit, and actually a security detriment.

2. It causes a waste of airtime from clients having to "shout" out for hidden SSIDs constantly, and this effect EVERYONE in range of ANY client configured to connet to a hidden SSID.
3. There are many other items TP-Link engineers can work on that are MUCH better benefits then this.

Options
RE:Option to hide IoT Network
2024-02-15 11:33:45
Bump
Options
2024-02-28 11:08:49

@cableghost 

just installed the mesh system and was searching in the settings for the option to hide my iot network....

stumbled on this 1 year old thread only to find out the option has not been added yet... Doesn't have to be this hard does it? Just add the option please...

Options
2024-03-09 00:14:17

@cableghost 

Checking in on this request.. There is definitely enough consumers requesting this feature to hide IoT network.  Please include in the next firmware release.

Please and thank you..

Options

Voters 18

+ 14 Voters