Using 2 ISPs with Deco X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-11 23:34:21 - last edited 2023-03-13 21:48:36
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20220412 Rel. 41022

Hi there

I have two ISPs and I use a Deco X60 mesh system. 

I would like to connect both my ISP routers to the two Ethernet ports on the main Deco unit

Is this configuration supported? or is one of the ports an output? 

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using 2 ISPs with Deco X60-Solution
2023-03-12 05:02:21 - last edited 2023-03-13 21:48:36

@eguy2000 I would have to look into it, but I know that for instance the router that I have, the TP Link ER605, has a USB port that I think can be used as a back up for a wireless gateway. I believe the term is called failover. It will automatically switch to a cellular based Internet when the land based cable Internet goes out. I think it can be done to have a 4G LTE or 5G modem as a back up ISP but it has to be done through USB port on a router that supports it. I do not think that the Deco's when used as routers support this. You would need a different kind of router and just use the Deco's as access points. 

I believe it can definitely be done, but you need the proper modem and a router. I don't think it should be done with the Decos alone. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Using 2 ISPs with Deco X60
2023-03-12 03:47:41

@eguy2000 both ports are bidirectional. how would two ISP's work if both give out an IP address? how would the router know which IP address to use?

Options
2023-03-12 04:22:03

@dictoresno thanks for the response. You're right about the IP selection. I was hoping there would be a switch in the app to make that choice. 
one of my ISP is a wireless provider with lower speed. I use it as a backup to my fiber internet. My fiber internet is down today so I had to manually switch the Ethernet cable to my second ISP. 
Seems like this can't be done on the X60

thanke

Options
Re:Using 2 ISPs with Deco X60-Solution
2023-03-12 05:02:21 - last edited 2023-03-13 21:48:36

@eguy2000 I would have to look into it, but I know that for instance the router that I have, the TP Link ER605, has a USB port that I think can be used as a back up for a wireless gateway. I believe the term is called failover. It will automatically switch to a cellular based Internet when the land based cable Internet goes out. I think it can be done to have a 4G LTE or 5G modem as a back up ISP but it has to be done through USB port on a router that supports it. I do not think that the Deco's when used as routers support this. You would need a different kind of router and just use the Deco's as access points. 

I believe it can definitely be done, but you need the proper modem and a router. I don't think it should be done with the Decos alone. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-12 21:28:02

@dictoresno 

Thanks for your help. We can close this discussion

Options
2023-03-13 22:18:39

@eguy2000,

I just wanted to verify that what @dictoresno is the case

The deco does not support multiple ISPs and can only establish one connection for WAN access. You can, however, find a variety of switches that support the feature. However, these features will most likely fall under business-class switches and routers.

There are two methods for "combining" a connection: load balancing and failover.

Failover detects when the active WAN connection loses its signal, while load balancing will distribute your speeds across the two WAN connections.

Our team is not really clear on how these would affect a connection to your deco, but you may not necessarily need to use the Decos in AP mode, depending on the settings and features of the device placed in front that combines the two WAN connections. As this forum is intended for consumer products and applications, you may post to our SMB community for clarification on how these features work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 902

Replies: 5

Related Articles