AX3000 Pro vs AX55 Pro - hardware/vpn support?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 16:08:14
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi, I just picked up an AX3000 Pro, and I'm trying to determine whether I should take it back and get the AX55 Pro. I'd like to make sure to get a model that is scheduled to get Wireguard support.

I can't tell any substantive difference between the two; both have 2.5G WAN/LAN, both advertise a dual core processor (which one is faster/better/more recent?). The AX55 Pro advertises VPN support, but the AX3000 Pro has VPN support in the web interface.

I see that the AX55 Pro has Wireguard support on the roadmap (caveat that plans can always change ofc). Can I ask if the AX3000 Pro is the re-skin of the AX55 Pro that it seems to be, and if it's going to piggyback and get Wireguard support as a result?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX3000 Pro vs AX55 Pro - hardware/vpn support?
2023-03-14 19:05:18

@Archon,

It is definitely too early to make any calls on what devices will receive Wireguard functionality, as the feature is currently only in testing as a result of the community's support for the feature. We always recommend choosing a router based on the features that are currently offered, and not what could be.

Onto the AX55Pro v AX3000Pro - It appears that, in this case, you would be generally correct. There are a few features that are different between the devices, such as Virtual Servers, but overall the devices operate almost identically. I believe that one of the main differences is that the models were created for different retailers. While it may potentially be using similar hardware and have the same features, the firmware may not necessarily follow the AX55 Pro's to a T, and may have slightly different features from future updates.

Also, keep in mind, that while our teams may provide hints on what models are to receive a feature, it is definitely not an exhaustive list, and the models supporting features is always changing; meaning that models can be both added and removed, or even just updated without warning

Options