Internet Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Internet Speed
Internet Speed
2023-03-18 12:30:13 - last edited 2023-03-27 13:12:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

I'm paying Spectrum for 500 Mbps internet service to their modem. I wasn't getting anything like that speed, and after complaining, they have upgraded their modem. That was AFTER they remotely configured the modem to run at the 500 Mbps speed. I had been paying for that for months. That upgrade has improved the situation, but still...
The modem feeds through a cable the first of 3 Deco M5(3.0) units acting as a router. It's located 8 inches away from the modem. The router output splits to 1) a desktop computer right next to it and 2) a cable going to another M5 unit at the other end of the house. The 3rd M5 is in between and runs wirelessly. The Deco app tests the internet speed at ~570 Mbps. 
A. The speed would not be this high if the modem were not configured for 500 Mbps service, correct?
B. The desktop shows a speed of only around 230-240 Mbps. Is that to be expected? Or, am I missing something? The desktop is somewhat old, using a Realtek RTL811E LAN chip.
C. My iPhone and iPad Mini5 both show a speed of 215-220 Mbps or so. Wireless, of course.
D. My Samsung smart TV, model TU700D shows a speed of only 40 Mbps using Speedtest.net on the Internet app on the set. It is fed wirelessly off the 2nd M5 unit, which is two walls and 15 feet away.
Are there any suggestions as to what I can do to obtain speeds closer to what the Deco system is receiving, or is this all pretty normal?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Internet Speed-Solution
2023-03-25 17:52:28 - last edited 2023-03-27 13:12:28
Well, I was trying to use the app to reboot just one of the M5s and stumbled across the QoS Total Bandwidth page. I had looked for QoS a few days ago because of something mentioned on a Community page and couldn't find it. On my app, it's under the Network-->Standard Mode -->Edit page. It showed 233 and 11 Mbps. I thought, "Hmm...". I ran the speed test on this page and set the bandwidth accordingly. Now getting 421.25 /23.17 Mbps on my desktop. Yippee. Might just be a case RTFM. Don't know. Getting good speed on desktop connected by cable to the first DECO M5, but still no so hot on wirelessly connected iPhone.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Internet Speed
2023-03-19 01:28:07

@Cuebeb 

A: sounds like your modem speed is correct, as most ISP's deliver a certain percentage of overspeed (i pay for 400 and get 450-460 consistently)

B: the desktop, wired directly to the first Deco via ethernet, should be seeing 500+ at this point. my desktop is sitting next to one of my ethernet backhaul accesspoints (and is wired to a switch) and i can see the full 450-460 on a speedtest both wired and wirelessly).

C: I have two hard wired Deco's on my first floor and i will see 350-450 on my iphone, macbook and ipads when i do a speedtest (yours may vary depending on where your Deco's are and any local interference. However, half speeds can be expected and somewhat normal over wireless given placement, walls, floors, obstacles and interference. you may be able to troubleshoot this a little. (upstairs i have my 3rd Deco for instance, and its wirelessly connected to my downstairs units. its speeds are between 225-350 depending)

D: speed on the TV seems pretty low, but through the walls, i wouldnt be surprised.

the only thing that bothers me of your issues is A. theres no way you would be seeing those speeds wired directly to the first Deco. i know the ethernet card is old and is gigabit rated, but i bet thats your bottleneck.

Options
2023-03-19 19:29:50

dictoresno wrote

@Cuebeb 

A: sounds like your modem speed is correct, as most ISP's deliver a certain percentage of overspeed (i pay for 400 and get 450-460 consistently)

B: the desktop, wired directly to the first Deco via ethernet, should be seeing 500+ at this point. my desktop is sitting next to one of my ethernet backhaul accesspoints (and is wired to a switch) and i can see the full 450-460 on a speedtest both wired and wirelessly).

C: I have two hard wired Deco's on my first floor and i will see 350-450 on my iphone, macbook and ipads when i do a speedtest (yours may vary depending on where your Deco's are and any local interference. However, half speeds can be expected and somewhat normal over wireless given placement, walls, floors, obstacles and interference. you may be able to troubleshoot this a little. (upstairs i have my 3rd Deco for instance, and its wirelessly connected to my downstairs units. its speeds are between 225-350 depending)

D: speed on the TV seems pretty low, but through the walls, i wouldnt be surprised.

the only thing that bothers me of your issues is A. theres no way you would be seeing those speeds wired directly to the first Deco. i know the ethernet card is old and is gigabit rated, but i bet thats your bottleneck.

@dictoresno 

I tend to agree re the Realtek, but unfortunately, it's not a card. It's built in to the mother board. Maybe I could get a card. I'll check.

Options
2023-03-24 09:02:42

@Cuebeb I spent some time with Spectrum rep on the phone at noon yesterday, then a tech guy in person last evening. While on the phone, I saw 500+ Mbps at my desktop. But shortly thereafter, a few minutes, after I let them off the phone thinking we had fixed the issue, back to 230 Mbps or so. The tech guy last evening measured 500+ into the modem, the same out to the first Deco, but only 230 at my desktop after the Deco M5. Something is wrong with my Deco. 

Options
Re:Internet Speed-Solution
2023-03-25 17:52:28 - last edited 2023-03-27 13:12:28
Well, I was trying to use the app to reboot just one of the M5s and stumbled across the QoS Total Bandwidth page. I had looked for QoS a few days ago because of something mentioned on a Community page and couldn't find it. On my app, it's under the Network-->Standard Mode -->Edit page. It showed 233 and 11 Mbps. I thought, "Hmm...". I ran the speed test on this page and set the bandwidth accordingly. Now getting 421.25 /23.17 Mbps on my desktop. Yippee. Might just be a case RTFM. Don't know. Getting good speed on desktop connected by cable to the first DECO M5, but still no so hot on wirelessly connected iPhone.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 4

Related Articles