Router will connect to modem, but not provide internet if router reboots faster than modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router will connect to modem, but not provide internet if router reboots faster than modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-18 14:45:44
Tags: #Connection Issue
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

When the power goes out, the router restarts faster than my modem. Once my modem is up and running, the router connects to it but it will not provide internet (internet light red). I always have to reboot my router again to get the internet to work. I can use Tether to reboot it (meaning it is connected to the internet), but no devices can connect to internet. Note that I have no access to the modem settings. Is this IP address issue where it only tries once, or is it something else? Doesn't make sense that I have to reboot the router twice each time the power goes out. 

Options
1 Reply
Re: Router will connect to modem, but not provide internet if router reboots faster than modem
2023-03-21 00:05:31

@travller71,

First, have you tried waiting to see if the devices will come online after a period of time, or does the network require a restart each time? If it is an IP conflict, the devices would reconnect properly after their DHCP lease expires.

The devices should maintain reconnect to the router in a local-only setup and then reconnect to the internet as the router renegotiates with the modem. The IP addresses that are assigned should not change between having an internet connection and not. 

It does sound like the issue is with your router not correctly identifying that the modem has assigned an IP address to your network.  You may try to change the internet connection type and confirm with your ISP that you have chosen the correct option. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 201

Replies: 1

Tags

Connection Issue
Related Articles