Can't change WIFI password on main SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 03:39:41 - last edited 2023-03-25 01:36:50
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20220412 Rel. 41022

I have 6 X60s connected. When I change the WIFI password, it won't take a new one. It stays on the app but switches back to the previous password. I tried the following but did not help:

1. Reboot all devices, main first and satellites next.

2. Reboot all devices, satellites first and main last.

3. Disconnect all satellites, reboot main; then reconnect satellites.

Any suggestion?

I may try next is, but it looks ugly:

1. Delete all satellites

2. Change the WIFI password on the main X60. Verify devices can connect with new WIFI password.

3. Re-add satellite back. 

I did change the WIFI password when there were 1 main X60 and 2 satellite X60s, no having any problem.

Note: I can't find the H/W version. They all bought in 2022

TIA.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't change WIFI password on main SSID-Solution
2023-03-25 01:35:47 - last edited 2023-03-25 01:36:50

@Larry099 

Problem has been solved but I don't like it.

1. Remove all 5 satellites and unplug from power outlet.

2. Change the main SSID password; make sure a laptop disconnects from the old SSID; put in new password on the laptop and get connected.

3. Bring all Satellties next to the main X60 and add them back.

It's not bad as all Satellites are easily accessible.

I wish TP Link support has a better solution on this.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't change WIFI password on main SSID
2023-03-22 23:19:35 - last edited 2023-03-22 23:19:47

@Larry099,

Definitely a strange behavior... Do you have any of these Deco's behind a networking switch? You may try to bring satellite units offline one by one to see if there is one specific node that is causing the network password to not be applied to the network, especially since you were able to change it with a different combination of nodes.

You might also try disconnecting the satellites, then configuring the WI-Fi network while only the main unit is connected. All of the Management features of the network are handled by this node, and the changes made to this node will affect the other nodes on the network, I am just not positive on the behavior while satellites are disconnected. Then depending on how your satellites are connected and the mood they are in, they may reconnect to the network, otherwise you may need to reset them and add them as satellites for the network again.

You may also try changing the Wi-Fi password with the Web Interface to see if this is a behavior limited to the Deco app. You may also try disconnecting your Phone from your Mobile Carriers network when using the tether app, as this will guarantee a connection between your phone and the network directly, rather than through the cloud.

Options
Re:Can't change WIFI password on main SSID
2023-03-23 18:08:22

@Riley_S 

Thanks Riley for good inputs.

I think I will try to (1) disconnect all satellites (2) change the password on main router (3) reset all satellites one by one and re-add them back to the network.

*** I may try tether the phone with the DECO unit for fun ***

*** I do not have any switch connected ***

I'll do this over the weekend while the "working from home" team is out for fun.

Will post the update soon.

Options
Re:Can't change WIFI password on main SSID-Solution
2023-03-25 01:35:47 - last edited 2023-03-25 01:36:50

@Larry099 

Problem has been solved but I don't like it.

1. Remove all 5 satellites and unplug from power outlet.

2. Change the main SSID password; make sure a laptop disconnects from the old SSID; put in new password on the laptop and get connected.

3. Bring all Satellties next to the main X60 and add them back.

It's not bad as all Satellites are easily accessible.

I wish TP Link support has a better solution on this.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 3

Related Articles