AX11000 Incompatible with Galaxy S23 (ultra)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-29 06:31:42
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently "upgraded" my phone to the Galaxy S23 (Ultra).  Since I first opened the box I had random Wi-Fi issues.  Most common is a Wi-Fi status of connected to the router but "internet unavailable".  Other times I would be using a news reader or web browser.  The reader/browser would appear to work fine, but everytime I tapped on a link that wouldn't work.  If I turned off Wi-Fi and turned it back on it would work -- for a while.

After a lot of aggravtaion, including several calls to Samsung tech support, I finally called my carrier (T-Mobile) tech support.  They told me that the Galaxy S23 had known compatibility issues with some TP-Link routers.  If found this difficult to believe.  However, I did also have a Netgear router on my network acting as an access point.  So, I tried connecting to the Netgear (Rax45).  Sure enough, my problems magically went away.

I called TP-Link support, and they claimed they had no knowledge of any such problems.  They are wrong.  There are most definitely severe compatibility issues.

SInce my Galaxy S21 had no issues with the TP-Link, I'm relatively sure that not all the problems are TP-Link problems.  That said, since the Netgear works just fine, I do think there is blame to go around.

Does anyone here know anything more about this? 

Also, I guess I'm performing a public service by spreading the word about at least what I know now.

Options
7 Reply
Re:AX11000 Incompatible with Galaxy S23 (ultra)
2023-03-29 21:03:44

@Ken98045-3,

I have heard of similar issues as a reddit user had mentioned that the new Samsung Series has some issues with the newest wifi networks, but this was limited to the 6E network. For the most part, the solution was to update your phone software, as it had fixes included. You may make sure that your device is using the most up-to-date software available.

After looking around, it looks like this a known issue from Samsung that affects Wi-Fi 6 networks: Sammobile Article on Wi-Fi 6 and Samsung Devices

Options
2023-03-29 23:40:24

@Ken98045-3 

There are currently no firmware updates for this phone, or I would have updated it.  Hopefully it is an issue that can be resolved by a firmware update.  Given how long it has been this is obviously not an easy fix on their end.

Yes, I am (in gerneral) now aware that this is now a known issue.  I was probably one of the first 0.1% of Galaxy S23 users (Costco delivered 3+ days before the official release date).  At that time nobody was aware of any issues.  It was very for me difficult to isolate the issue since my Netgear router masked the issue (things worked sometimes, presumably when I was attached to the Netgear access point - same SSID).  If it never work I just have returned the phone.  I still might since Costco has a 90 day return policy.

I am not totally convinced that this is only a phone problem.  I suspect that the router firmware/hardware is involved as well.  I am on the latest AX11000 firmware. I don't know if they are even looking into the issue. 

Again, my other  Wi-Fi 6 router works just fine (although the specs are somewhat different).  This seems to imply that there possibly could be a fix on the router end of things.

At a minimum TP-Link tech support should be aware of the problem. They were initially my second stop in a series of tech-support calls a few weeks ago.  The TP-Link reps I talked to strenously denied that there was an compatibility issue.  They acted like they thought I was an idiot for insisting that there were serious issues when I looped back to them about only 3 days ago to see if they had changed their tune.  They are still oblvious.

Options
2023-03-30 20:35:09

@Ken98045-3 this is a known and ongoing issue with Samsung phones, Pixels, etc., which have Wi-Fi 6E capabilities, and it doesn't matter if which Wi-Fi 6E router by any vendor is used.  For some reason they have major issues not just failing to stay connected via 6E, they never see the 6E signal to begin with. Some laptops and desktops are also having this issue. As far as I can tell, the issue is primarily with the Wi-Fi cards (chipsets for the phones) not having properly written firmware, especially since almost all tablets with Wi-Fi 6E don't have this issue. 

If you go to the forums/subreddits for Netgear, ASUS, Linksys, DLink, eero, Cisco, and so on, you'll see they're all having this problem.  As an FYI, Samsung phones have been known to have the most Wi-Fi problems overall for several years. 

Options
2023-03-31 05:16:39

@Richardj186 

As I now know there are 2 TP-Link routers that have the AX11000 designation.  One is a Wi-Fi 6, the other is a Wi-Fi 6e (Model AX206).  Mine is the one original that is Wi-Fi with only the 2.4 and 5ghz bands.  I don't .  There is no 6ghz band, and there are other differences as well.  It has no other model designation on it other than Archer AX11000.

So, I have 2 standard Wi-Fi 6 only routers.  The Netgear one works.  The TP-Link one doesn't.  This is not a 6e issue, but may have appeared in Wi-Fi 6?

I don't know if this makes a difference in your reply.  I was certainly confused because everyone kept mentioning 6e, and I could have sworn that I didn't buy that (it wasn't available at the time).

Options
2023-03-31 05:28:39

@Ken98045-3 

BTW, regarding you comment on Samsung having Wi-Fi issues for a few years:  I had an S21+.  It had rock steady Wi-Fi.  The problems may have started after that point (S22 generation).

All this makes me wonder what phone I should go for when I return the S23.  I was thinking Pixel, 7 but maybe I need to find a used S21 Ultra or Plus.  While I may be able to get around my problems at home I won't necessarily know about other routers when I'm on the road.

As far as I can tell there isn't a way to force the S23 to Wi-Fi 5.  I'd just need to stay with 2.4 deal with slow speeds.

Options
2023-04-02 07:30:06

@Ken98045-3 Humm that's weird, i have the same setup. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra with an Archer AX11000 router and i have no issues at all. 

Options
2023-04-02 18:30:03

@Nyshadow

After your note saying you have no problems I took a 3rd look at my AX11000.  I assumed that there was some setting that created problems for the S23.  What I did is change the channel width from 160MHz to "Auto".  Suddenly things seem stable.  The actual channel width is 80MHz per WiFi Analyzer.

It is too soon to say conclusively that this was the problem, but even after an hour of testing I think I would have noticed any problems. 

So, maybe I need I new post explaining the problem and solution. 

I think that thing have been made much more complicated by the numerous posts regarding the S23 and Wi-Fi 6e.  As long as I don't run into 6e routers whille on the road I hope things will be good.

The S23 should not have any problems with 160MHz.  The S21+ did not. Very interesting!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 585

Replies: 7

Related Articles