A7 and Starling Gen 2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A7 and Starling Gen 2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
A7 and Starling Gen 2
A7 and Starling Gen 2
2023-03-30 19:26:00
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Just got Starlink Gen 2 Residential service and wanting to connect it to my existing home network.  Existing network consists of 1 A7 AC1750 as a router, 1 A7 AC1750 as an access point and 3 RE300 extenders.  I have the ethernet adapter from the Starlink shop.  When I connect the Starlink ethernet adapter to the WAN port on my A7 router, it works great, but the internet drops randomly.  This does not happen when I connect the Starlink Ethernet Adapter directly into my Laptop.

I see where there is a workaround for an A8 to set the connection to a Static Routing.  Will that same approach work on the A7?  Any suggestions?    

Options
4 Reply
Re:A7 and Starling Gen 2
2023-03-30 21:43:52

@DJ-GunterTX,

First off, it is worth noting that the Starlink App has a setting for "Bypass Mode" that tends to trip a lot of people up.

Two things you may try that seem to help many starlink users with odd behaviors:

- Place a Network Switch between the Starlink Router and your TP-Link Router

- Change the Negotiation Speed on the LAN ports from AUTO to 100mbps full duplex

The static route is still definitely a solution for some, but it does not seem to always help with the behavior. However, before doing this please ensure that you have tried configuring the network with the dynamic IP setting and not one of the other options.
--

If the Starlink router is under Bypass Mode or has been removed, you may need to set up a static route on the TP-Link router; then, you can manage the Starlink terminal in the Starlink APP. Use these settings to establish a static route from the TP-Link Router’s UI.

Network destination: 192.168.100.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Interface: WAN

--

Options
2023-03-31 00:14:00

@Riley_S  thanks for the quick reply.  I'm definitely in Bypass mode.  I don't have a network switch but will get one, any particular specific on the switch?  I will change the LAN port speed.  Where in the Admin portal do I change the LAN Speed?  Might be easier to know that try to find it.

I'll let you know how it works out.  I really like the TP equipment so I need to get it stable.

Options
2023-04-02 15:11:58
Riley_S, the router is asking for DNS settings when I enter the Static connection details. Where can I find that Information?
Options
2023-04-03 17:54:21

@DJ-GunterTX,

DNS Servers are simply servers that will help direct your traffic to the correct locations and can be set to various services. I recommend using Googles 8.8.8.8 addresses, or Cloudflares Service for the best possible performance. I would recommend looking to see what is available and trying a few different ones out.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 213

Replies: 4

Related Articles