AX6000, Disable Wifi 6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX6000, Disable Wifi 6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AX6000, Disable Wifi 6
AX6000, Disable Wifi 6
2023-04-03 17:10:48
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20221208 rel.45145(5553)

The new Samsung 23 Ultra has known problems with Wifi 6.  Until a patch the suggestion is to disable Wifi 6 and use Wifi 5.  Is this possible with AX6000?  I have been through the screens, but cannot find a setting that sounds like it will work.

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX6000, Disable Wifi 6
2023-04-03 21:47:17

@iajaffe,

Wi-Fi 6 Cannot necessarily be disabled, it is a designation of the generation of wireless technology. The cases I have seen have been different so its hard to pinpoint what is the cause. What appears to be happening is that some devices, and not in all cases, will have problems with some of the features or improvements that were made. Usually, when people are mentioning 'using Wi-Fi 5, it has to do with disabling Smart Connect, which will split the bands apart.

I did see another user find that the cause of the disconnects for their S23 was the use of a Wider Channel Width. With Wi-Fi 6 the width of the available channel was doubled from 80 to 160. Changing this setting on the router off of auto to use 80mhz seemed to fix the behavior that they were seeing. 

Out of curiosity, does the same behavior exist when you connect to your guest network? 

Options
2023-04-04 13:12:12

@iajaffe So I disabled OFDMA and Smart Connect and the problem goes away if I only allow 2.4 OR 5 networks.  Unfortunately, I have devices that will not connect to 5 and need 2.4.  And 2.4 is too week to cover my whole house.

I have not tried the guest network, but that would be unworkable as I would not be able to control the devices on my wifi network.

Options
2023-04-04 16:16:35

@iajaffe,

You may try setting the network names for the bands to be the same, as this will allow your devices that can make use of 5Ghz to switch between the two. 

Something to note, the range of the 2.4Ghz network is the farthest reaching frequency for your home. When you have the frequencies combined, you will actually only be using the 2.4Ghz network when you start moving away from your router. IF the 2.4Ghz network is not enough to provide coverage to your whole home, you may need to look into some sort of extender or access point.

There are features such as beamforming that can improve the 5ghz range, however these will not have too much affect on the overall network coverage. It is not uncommon to see 5Ghz networks unable to pass through walls, let alone multiple rooms.

Options
2023-04-10 06:20:05
You want the 2.4 network to have a different name and not even be registered with the phone in the case of Galaxy. This isn't new, I saw it with two separate networks and a ZyXel on the Note8, and the same on the Note20 Ultra on both ZyXel and TP-Link. TP-Link just makes it more confusing because of the default smart connect feature. Basically as soon as these phones lose what would be a bar of wifi in the display, they switch to the 2.4 network regardless of its speed (it's usually still slower at the distance they pick). After it switches to 2.4, and despite supposedly having dual band functionality in the Note20 Ultra and Triple in the S23 (there's a 6e antenna there too), it will never reconnect to the 5GHz networks because regardless of range the signal always appears stronger. I don't know why these phones don't just use both antennas, but there you go. Another fix I found for it was setting beacon time to 90ms instead of 100ms. The Note20 Ultra can connect to the AX network fine, but the connection is faster and stronger with OFDMA turned off on the modem, and even stronger if I switch to the 802.11a/n/ac option. Part of the issue is that beamforming works about as well as an addict who got some bad junk and shot up in the broom closet, and since they lowered the maximum allowed broadcast power. I suspect that beamforming might actually work but was advertised horribly wrong. AFAIK you can't put a signal out on a piece of bare coax looking antenna that's fixed in space and make it point in the direction you want. I think what it's *really* doing is picking the antenna that's pointed most directly towords the phone. AC will pretty much always get a better phone connection by virtue of outputting a higher powered signal. This isn't how it's supposed to work at all but there you go.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1626

Replies: 4

Related Articles