Deco X4300 Pro - constantly going down with switch connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-03 17:26:33
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20221216 Rel. 39700

I have a Deco X4300 Pro mesh network set up and running in Router mode with one base connected an Arris S33 cable modem using the 2.5Gbps port. With this are two Deco satellites which connect to the base via wifi. Everything runs great when this is the only configuration.

However, when I try to connect a TP Link TL-SG108 8-port gigabit switch to the Deco base using the 1Gbps port, the entire mesh network consistently goes down and won't come back up until I disconnect the switch. In some cases the mesh network will stay up and running for a short time after connecting the switch, but then inevitably goes down.

In a non-technical description, it almost feels like the base decides to try and use the 1Gbps port (that the switch is connected to) as the port it should try and obtain its internet signal from instead of using the 2.5Gbps port (where the cable modem is connected).

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions on what to try?

Thank you in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X4300 Pro - constantly going down with switch connected
2023-04-03 18:39:03

@mguthart,

I believe that you may be correct in that it is attempting to use the switch for its WAN connection.

Deco ports are automatically equipped with Automatic WAN/LAN sensing Ethernet Ports. If your main deco loses its WAN connection, it will then begin to look at the other WAN ports for a WAN Connection. 

I would double-check your Modem and Main Deco's Connection to ensure that it is stable and not seeing short disconnects from your provider. 

As a similar behavior can be seen with Starlink configurations, you may attempt to configure an unmanaged (or managed) switch between your modem and router to work as a Go-Between when issues arise.

You may also try to switch the main unit with one of your satellite units and changing your Main Deco through the app. Then we can see if the behavior follows the node or is a problem with the configuration of the entire network.

Options
Re:Deco X4300 Pro - constantly going down with switch connected
2023-04-03 18:56:48 - last edited 2023-04-03 19:00:08

@Riley_S 

Thank you for the prompt reply and suggestions.

I'll check the modem logs to see if there is anything with intermittent dropouts occurring.

Related to this... is there a log that is accessible with the Deco base at all? 

I haven't been able to find anything through the iOS app, but maybe I'm missing something?

(Nevermind - just found it via the web interface and will check there as well.)

Thanks again!

Mark

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 2

Related Articles