Archer AX73 v1.6 does not detect internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-06 14:18:53 - last edited 2023-04-10 01:29:26
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 build 20230119 rel.35540(5553)

My router is not connecting to the internet.  I have already tried rebooting the device, both thru the router webpage as well as physically.  I have swapped out ethernet cables, updated the firmware, and cloned the mac address.  Additionally, I disconnected and restarted the modem without the fiber cable in case there was a mac binding problem.

My modem is provided by the ISP, which is a municipal fiber internet service.  The modem is a Calix Gigapoint 803G.  There are no outages, and when I hardwire the modem to the computer I have a solid, fast internet conenction.  I am very confident that the issue is only with the router.

I live in a house that has CAT cabling throughout with wall ethernet jacks.  The modem goes into the basement, where there is a panel to connect to the various room ethernet jacks.  I have a Netgear GS305v3 switch that takes the modem's ethernet out line and splits it to two signals.  one signal goes to the home office where a computer is hardwired to the internet, the other goes to the family room and plugs into the router.  Even through the switch, the hardline internet signal is perfect.  Just in case, I already took the router to the basement and tried to connect it directly to the modem to no avail.  As far as hardware goes, I think I have successfully isolated the issue to the router.  I have run out of ideas trying to get the router to connect to the internet through.

I purchased the router January 29, 2023, so it's only been running for 2.5 months.  During setup everything was fine and nothing happened.  This issue just happened and cannot be resolved.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX73 v1.6 does not detect internet connection-Solution
2023-04-10 01:29:22 - last edited 2023-04-10 01:29:26

I found the issue.  It turns out that when I plugged the modem into the switch, my ISP's system auto-assigned me to IP addresses because I didn't have my router regulating traffic.  My ISP only allows one IP address per household, so their system auto-locked on of my IP addresses to a MAC address and then deleted the other profile.  By luck, the MAC address that was allowed to exist was my tower computer.  If I had cloned that computer's MAC then everything would have worked.  This is also why restarting the modem did nothing, as it was an ISP system setting that was fed to the modem.

I contacted the ISP and they reset their system.  I removed the switch and found another router to replace it.  Now, I have a router in the basement with its radio signals turned off, and my new router is still transmitting my wifi as an access point.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 v1.6 does not detect internet connection
2023-04-06 19:27:02

@ajones0009,

I believe that the issue you are coming across is a result of where you placed that switch in your network. Unless you are setting up VLANs and doing some advanced configuration, there should only be one cable running directly from your modem, directly to your router. All of the devices you want on the network have to be 'downstream' of the routers addressing. If you are splitting the connection, you're two devices going through the switch and are constantly fighting for the traffic, but since you did Mac cloning, the PC connects fine and may even take priority.

While you may have moved the router to test this, from a networking standpoint, your WILL have issues and conflicts with a switch between the devices.

If you are looking to use your switch in this location, you will have to set up your AX73 in AP mode and enable the DHCP server and Wireless functionality of your Modem if it has it.

Options
2023-04-06 23:54:31 - last edited 2023-04-06 23:57:48

@Riley_S 

Thank you for your response.  I will certainly try this when I am able.

I still do not understand why the router didn't work when connected directly to the modem.  I can see how the switch may interfere when placed in the wrong location, but I would think that once it was removed from the network the router should have worked fine.  Did the router somehow "latch" into a fault state due to the conflict?  I rebooted the router but it still showed an orange internet LED when connected directly to the router.

Additionly, I wanted to clarify some things.  I was diagnosing my router with my laptop, and only had wireless connection.  The computer that was hardwired to the internet thru the switch is a second office computer.  When I cloned the MAC address, the clone came from the laptop with no internet.

Options
Re:Archer AX73 v1.6 does not detect internet connection-Solution
2023-04-10 01:29:22 - last edited 2023-04-10 01:29:26

I found the issue.  It turns out that when I plugged the modem into the switch, my ISP's system auto-assigned me to IP addresses because I didn't have my router regulating traffic.  My ISP only allows one IP address per household, so their system auto-locked on of my IP addresses to a MAC address and then deleted the other profile.  By luck, the MAC address that was allowed to exist was my tower computer.  If I had cloned that computer's MAC then everything would have worked.  This is also why restarting the modem did nothing, as it was an ISP system setting that was fed to the modem.

I contacted the ISP and they reset their system.  I removed the switch and found another router to replace it.  Now, I have a router in the basement with its radio signals turned off, and my new router is still transmitting my wifi as an access point.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-10 17:36:26

@ajones0009,

Glad to hear you got it working, 

usually the MAC address cache is cleared when the modem is unplugged for 5+ minutes, but it could depend on your ISP, as I have had to make this phone call before also.

The reason it latched onto your PC is that the PC was connected when you were trying through the switch. As it is a first come first serve basis for that IP address, that PC won the address over the router. This is why the mac cloning process usually consists of cloning the MAC address of the device that is able to receive the internet connection and talk with your ISP.

You may consider re-enabling the Wi-Fi in the basement if you need a stronger connection there and would like to extend your network further.

If the AP and router have the same SSID, your devices will be able to automatically switch between the AP and routers networks, otherwise they can have separate SSIDs and your devices will treat them as separate networks and compare the overall signal quality.

Options