Can Find Only 2G Not 5G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can Find Only 2G Not 5G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can Find Only 2G Not 5G
Can Find Only 2G Not 5G
2023-04-07 21:38:50 - last edited 2023-04-10 19:13:52
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 4

I haven't a clue what the Hardware or Firmware versions are.  I bought it yesterday (04/06/23) from Amazon and downloaded and installed the firmware a couple of hours ago.  I've been able to find and program the 2G and have things working on that network.  What I don't have is the 5G even showing up as an available network.  I've done searches off the Windows Wi-Fi controls, and it says there is no network like that within range (I'm less than 6-8 feet from the Wi-Fi).   Looked for similar issues in the threads, but this problem seems unique.  All of the expected lights are on for the router.  A speed test shows a ping of 36ms, download speed of 206Mbs and upload of 59Mbs.  My IPS is Spectrum, and they said that their internet is fine in my area.  I've kind of hit a wall.  How can I find the 5G network so that I can make that the primary auto-connect?  This faster laptop is used from the other end of the house, so 5G gets back there better that 2G.  Will happily provide any further info if asked and its location explained.  At least, so far, I can still waste time on memes. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can Find Only 2G Not 5G-Solution
2023-04-07 23:24:58 - last edited 2023-04-10 19:13:52

@Haiwee,

If you have the Smart Connect feature turned on, both networks will be broadcast over the same SSID and your router and device will work together to move your device to the faster 5Ghz network when possible, and will move your device back to the 2.4Ghz band when you are out of the range for the 5Ghz network.

You can turn off the smart connect feature to separate out the SSIDs and force the devices to connect by using different SSIDs and Passwords.

I would like to point out that the 2.4Ghz network is able to travel long distances and through walls far more easily than the 5Ghz network. The higher frequency means that the signal cannot travel as far with the same power, and is more susceptible to interference from your environment. This is why low-frequency smart home devices, such as zigbee or sub-g can travel such long distances.

Lastly, if you are looking to check the speed from your ISP, your best bet will be to connect a PC to the router with an ethernet cable and run a speed test there. The speed tests, when run through the deco app or through a wireless connection will not show the speed of the network; rather it will be the speed achievable by your device. This is because it will also factor in the connection quality between your router and phone.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can Find Only 2G Not 5G-Solution
2023-04-07 23:24:58 - last edited 2023-04-10 19:13:52

@Haiwee,

If you have the Smart Connect feature turned on, both networks will be broadcast over the same SSID and your router and device will work together to move your device to the faster 5Ghz network when possible, and will move your device back to the 2.4Ghz band when you are out of the range for the 5Ghz network.

You can turn off the smart connect feature to separate out the SSIDs and force the devices to connect by using different SSIDs and Passwords.

I would like to point out that the 2.4Ghz network is able to travel long distances and through walls far more easily than the 5Ghz network. The higher frequency means that the signal cannot travel as far with the same power, and is more susceptible to interference from your environment. This is why low-frequency smart home devices, such as zigbee or sub-g can travel such long distances.

Lastly, if you are looking to check the speed from your ISP, your best bet will be to connect a PC to the router with an ethernet cable and run a speed test there. The speed tests, when run through the deco app or through a wireless connection will not show the speed of the network; rather it will be the speed achievable by your device. This is because it will also factor in the connection quality between your router and phone.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can Find Only 2G Not 5G
2023-04-08 20:25:11

@Haiwee Very clear response and directions.  Dug a little deeper and I guess the router was already set up as described since the laptop nearest the router now shows 5G and the furthest shows 2G and both are as fast as I expected.  I truly appreciate the answer.  Now I can go back to work.  Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 710

Replies: 2

Related Articles