KC420WS Installation - New KASA network connection appears, but no internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-09 20:03:02
Model: KC420WS  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I know it has been covered in this forum before, but I do have a question...

1) My new KC420SW installation hangs up when I connect to the new temporary Kasa Cam_XXXX  wifi network...but

2) The newtork appears, but I keep getting a internet connection failure...as many have had

3) I have tried all the usual fix options to no avail.

4) I do notice the new Kasa Cam_XXXX network is pointing to our original NetGear Router via its old 192.168.x.x IP address. This has changed to a 10.0.0.X address after Comcast sent us their wifi enabled modem/router.  Everything on our network successfully accesses the NetGear Router connection in parallel with the new Comcast modem.  Except as noted, I can't get the new Kasa camera on.

5) We have an older  Kasa Spot that we have been running successfully on our NetGear router  home wireless connections for years. It has never failed us and was a cinch to setup.

Is there any way to  change the target IP address for the Kasa Cam_XXXX network to point from our old NetGear IP 192.168.X.X to the new 10.0.0.X IP for the NetGear router?

Is these any way to manually as add the camera via the NetGear administration app?

Any other suggestions?   Is there anything else I may have missed?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:KC420WS Installation - New KASA network connection appears, but no internet
2023-04-10 21:40:03

@Beerski,

If the device cannot connect to the network, the only way to change the network is to reset the camera so that the setup network appears.

The setup network is what you are seeing broadcast from the device, and since the device is not connected to your home network, it has no connection to the internet - The Setup network is only allows your phone to communicate directly with your Kasa device. If your phone has settings that will switch networks or move to a cellular connection when there is no internet connection, you may try disabling this to see if this was preventing your camera from communicating with your phone - you may also try turning off private addressing from your phones network settings while connected to the setup network.

If what you are describing is true for your addresses, your new router uses an entirely different pool of addresses. Meaning the device is still looking for a local 192.168 network, not a 10.0.0 network and you cant reserve / set aside an address that would force the connection. Double check from your router's client list, or on one of your devices  that this is the IP range that is being used by your devices.

Options
Re:KC420WS Installation - New KASA network connection appears, but no internet
2023-04-19 22:39:07

@Riley_S 

HI Riley.  Thank you for your response.  I still have a question. You mentioned...

"If what you are describing is true for your addresses, your new router uses an entirely different pool of addresses. Meaning the device is still looking for a local 192.168 network, not a 10.0.0 network and you cant reserve / set aside an address that would force the connection. Double check from your router's client list, or on one of your devices  that this is the IP range that is being used by your devices.If what you are describing is true for your addresses, your new router uses an entirely different pool of addresses. Meaning the device is still looking for a local 192.168 network, not a 10.0.0 network and you cant reserve / set aside an address that would force the connection. Double check from your router's client list, or on one of your devices  that this is the IP range that is being used by your devices."

Not sure what you mean here.  All my devices point to either my NetGear router which connected to my Comcast modem or directly to the Comcast IP's.  Both use 10.0.0.X addresses. Every device I have works through either network connection.

I am attempting to reach the network connection on the NetGear router (10.0.0.184).  Is there away that I can set the default IP and MAC the KC420SW is looking for so I can point to my 10.0.0.1 router?  As noted the 192.168 network routers in at the new address. Seems like this would simplify the matter, no.  I have tried you other recommendations to no avail.  Is there a tech chat where I can maybe get some realtime help from?

Thanks again,

tmbeerski

Options