3-node Deco M5 mesh configuration behind T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-16 18:59:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 2.28

I am helping my neighbor configure his 3 node TP-Link Deco M5 mesh network in a large house with structural masonry walls that prevent full WiFi coverage from the T-Mobile's Gateway WiFi.  The Deco mesh topology is intended to ultimately be in Router mode using Ethernet Backhaul to connect the gateway and at least the first and second Deco mesh nodes.

First off, I had configuration problems when placing the first Deco node in its finished location about 30 feet away from the T-Mobile gateway through a 40-foot Cat 6 cable.  However, when I put the base Deco mesh node next to the gateway and connected with a shorter cable, the node configuration was successful.  After configuration, I moved the base node back to its ultimate location and configuration of downstream nodes failed.

Do all of the Deco mesh nodes need to be initially configured in close proximity to the gateway, then moved to their distant locations and cable-connected?  If the configuration procedure uses bluetooth, this might require the closer proximity, at least for the initiial configuration.

Can I configure and install just Deco mesh node1, or nodes 1 and 2 which will be cable-connected, and leave mesh node 3 for later installation?  Or do I need to configure all 3 nodes at once in close proximity to the gateway?

Thanks for any advice.

Options
2 Reply
Re:3-node Deco M5 mesh configuration behind T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway
2023-04-17 22:11:10

@BriGood,

First off, if you are using the Decos in Router Mode, then all of the network traffic needs to pass through one of the deco nodes, which would be replacing the routing functionality of your T-Mobile Gateway. This means you really should have a deco node next to your gateway to provide a quick path to your modem. Your t-mobile gateway should only have one ethernet cable coming out of the gateway and into one Deco, all other network connections need to be "below" the main deco, including the other nodes.

Otherwise, the nodes need to be configured in AP mode so that the Gateway can use multiple ethernet port "outs" and will also then manage all the connections of your network, rather than using the features that Deco offers.

The Decos are relatively "loose" in how they can be configured and setup. Generally, as long as there is a clear path to the main node, the device can be configured, whether through a wired or wireless connection. Essentially the main deco will operate as a router, and the satellite nodes will operate as a normal client device when being set up.

Options
Re:3-node Deco M5 mesh configuration behind T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway
2023-04-18 02:55:48

@Riley_S ... Our intention is to be in Router rather than Access Point mode, dictated by where the legacy cabling is in his house. My concern is whether Deco units downstream from the Router Deco (next to the gateway) must be configured in proximity to the first Deco unit due to the 10 meter bluetooth limitation,  Or, after the mesh WiFi is established and the phone running the configuration app has joined the mesh wifi network, can the configuration be done over wifi?  Thanks -BriGood

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 558

Replies: 2

Related Articles