Set up Two TP Link Archer C6 Routers Be Set up on the Same Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-20 19:19:26
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20210226 rel.34930(5553)

I've read some on how to do this but not sure of the secondary router configuration.   Here is what I've read /homenetworkgeek/how-to-setup-two-routers-on-the-same-network/

Both are the Archer C6 and I want the same SSID as the primary router.  Can get the primary set up fine and changed DHCP range to leave out 192.168.1.100 so I can use it as static IP on the Second router (Lan setting?).  I don't want the second to be set up as an AP, Want it to fully function for switch LAN ports and wi-fi connections.  So is that a repeater? or bridge.  

I had internet working on the 2nd router but no Wi-fi.  In this setup, how do I configure the Network-Internet?   Do i input the 192.168.1.100 address for the Network-LAN IP address and use the default Subnet mask.  I may have made the mistake and fed the 2nd router using the WAN input from the main router.  I'm now assuming I just plug in to one of the 4 Lan sockets.  

This should be easy I guess but just ran in to connection issues.   Wish there was a comprehensive TP-Link guide to set these up with the TP-Link specifics.  

Thanks

Davo

Options
6 Reply
Re:Set up Two TP Link Archer C6 Routers Be Set up on the Same Network
2023-04-21 23:01:18

@Davo-IL 

If you want all you devices to be on the same subnet then you have to configure the secondary router in AP mode.

Thus you'll get all 4 LAN ports and Wi-Fi on the second router to put your devices in the same subnet as your primary router.

Here's (Case 1) a guide on that - the ethernet connection should be: Primary router LAN port => Secondary router WAN port.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-23 15:14:51 - last edited 2023-04-23 15:15:46

@terziyski 

thanks.  I'll try case 1 again.  In case 2, does the connection cable also plug in to the WAN port?   

I have a Tp-link extender AC1200.  Can I link that to either.  Goes it would just use the one SSID that I set up.

Thanks.
Dave

Options
2023-04-23 15:30:26 - last edited 2023-04-23 15:31:05

@Davo-IL 

In Case 2 of the guide I posted the connection should be: Primary router LAN port => Secondary router LAN port.

But keep in mind that this is for wireless routers that don't have dedicated AP mode implemented.

Your Archer C6s have a dedicated AP mode and that's why you should use Case 1 of the guide.

And you can connect AC1200 extender to any of your Archer C6 - wired when the extender is in AP mode, or wirelessly when the extender is in RE mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-23 19:06:36

@terziyski    Thanks.  I saw the case 2 connect after I replied.  Sorry.   I didn't realize the AC1200 could be setup as a wired AP.  I thought the RJ-45 Jack was for output to connect something by wire in addition to wi-fi.  I'll have to read up on how to set that up and look for a way to run a cable.  Thanks again. 
Dave

Options
2023-04-24 00:05:35 - last edited 2023-04-24 03:13:48

@Davo-IL 

Here's how to configure RE in AP mode.

" I thought the RJ-45 Jack was for output to connect something by wire in addition to wi-fi. " - yes, it is when you use it in a "range extender mode".

If you want to change the SSID and password for the extender to be the same as C6 just follow the guide's step 5.

Options
2023-04-24 03:03:51

@terziyski 

Thanks.  I got the extender set up as an AP but it does not show the same SSID as the main Wireless I connected it to.   

Options