Should I use my AX6000 with Google Fiber?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-23 14:12:07
Tags: #google fiber
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 build 20210719

Hello. I'm scheduled to have a Google Fiber install next week.  Wondering what would be the pros and cons for the following options.  My home is only 1450 square feet with a very large back yard that has 4 wireless cameras (mostly 5g; one 2.4g). Inside of my home has roughly 35 things that connect to my network, 90% of those things are very quick connections, not at all like streaming TV, etc.

Current setup is I have an Archer AX6000 router connected to an outdoor UniFi Access point (for backyard cams).  The router is connected to my Sodola 28 port switch for most of my wired connections.  This setup has been pretty stable, minor hiccups.  No mesh with UniFi though.  No other switches or extenders.

Would like some advice on two options:

Option 1. Use Googles equipment (2 pucks and 1 router). Set up a mesh system with 1 puck in front of house, router in my study in middle of house, and other puck in back of house to help with outdoor cams.

Option 2.  Continue to  use existing AX6000 as router with direct connect to GF box.  Add a TPLink mesh device in front of house, replace UniFi with TPLink mesh outdoor device.

Pro's in my mind: Keeping everything in one eco system (TPLink) is already familiar and configured for me and it works and would still provide me with a mesh system offiered by Google Fiber.

Questions I have.  Would the GF mesh system be equal to what I'm proposing in option 2 in regard to power/speed and wifi distance?

Would I have various management features with GF router (ie: port mapping, DHCP range, QOS settings, etc?)

I would really appreciate some thoughts on what I should consider.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 0

Tags

google fiber
Related Articles