Turing Smart Connect On & Off`

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-29 00:26:01 - last edited 2023-05-05 03:31:27
Tags: #Smart Connect

I just received my AX1800 (AX21) and am wondering about the Smart Connect.  I bought it to replace the Specturm router which insists on connecting my furthest Firrestick to 5ghz with very little signal.

With Smart Connect:

1) Should I set-up a 2nd network with  "-5ghz" as the suffix for the 5 ghz net?

2) Can I turn Smart Connect on & off at will?  For example, if my Firestick is showing 5 ghz and "low power", can I turn off Smart Connect and switch to the 2.4 net?

3)  In the set-up videos on YouTube, it shows a 5ghz network being set up automatically with "5ghz" as the suffix.

4) If I reconnect Smart Connect, can I leave the 2 network names alone (2.4 and 5)?

That's a lot, but I'm new to tp-link.

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Turing Smart Connect On & Off`
2023-05-01 19:17:50

@old_texan,

So Smart Connect is a TP-Link Feature that will work to create a unified SSID, but with both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks. The feature essentially ties them together and will work to automatically move your device between bands based on what band will be able to give the best signal.

You have a few options:

Smart Connect Enabled - One SSID, The Router will Work to Move your Device to the Best Connection and Will Provide the most seamless experience.

Smart Connect Disabled - Different SSID - Two Networks will appear and can have separate passwords. Your device will be in charge of moving between bands based on its signal strength. This is often used when you have problematic devices/networks that require a specific connection and arent working well with Smart Connect Enabled and you don't want to use the Guest Network for the device

Smart Connect Disabled Same SSID - One Network will show in the list of available networks, your device will shift between the two bands automatically. This is often used if you find that the Smart Connect Feature is not moving the devices between bands in the way you want. Note that you will not be able to force devices to use a specific band when the same SSID is being used, however, if a device only supports 2.4Ghz it will have no problem.

Options
2023-05-01 19:47:03

@Riley_S 

Thanks ---  I'm using the 2nd option  SC disabled with two separate SSIDs.    Some devices seem to like 2.4,  my wife's PC is close to the router and likes 5 ghz.   So it's easy to operate that way.

Thanks again for the support.

Options
2023-05-01 19:54:42

Glad I Could Help  @old_texan

Devices will favor a band based on its location. 5Ghz has a much shorter range than 2.4, so its not uncommon to see devices only connect to the 5Ghz when in close proximity to the router.

The feature is more meant for devices that will be moving around your home, such as smartphones; and IoT devices which may only support 2.4Ghz

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 355

Replies: 3

Tags

Smart Connect
Related Articles