Easy Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Easy Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Easy Mesh
Easy Mesh
2023-05-03 11:49:27 - last edited 2023-05-03 16:43:44
Tags: #Easy Mesh
Model: RE715X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20221108 Rel. 70600

I connected my RE715X extender to my Frontier Arris NVG468MQ using Easy Mesh.  Set up was very easy but it seems to be working still as an extender since it kept a different SSID from my router.  It tagged a "_EXT" extension to it.  For mobile devices to switch connection within the Mesh, I would have expected for the SSID to be the same between the router and the extender. 

I also have a TP Link router and TP Link extender behind my Frontier router and use One Mesh, that has only one SSID and works flawlessly.  I am trying to build a Mesh with my Frontier router for added security and separate my guests and my IoT devices for my house from my personal One Mesh network.

Is my set up correct and that is the way the SSID work with TP Link and Easy Mesh?  Did I miss a configuration step?  I saw I could change the SSID in my Extender setup but I am not sure if it is wise.

Any input will help.

Thanks - Michel

Options
5 Reply
Re:Easy Mesh
2023-05-03 14:31:29

@Michel_G 

If _EXT is assigned to an SSID, the extender is likely set up as a traditional extender and not set up using OneMesh (which is a proprietary Mesh protocol for TP-Link) or EasyMesh (Standardized Protocol).   I would suggest making sure your Arris Gateway has the EasyMesh service active then logging into the extender and make its EasyMesh function is active. 

Options
2023-05-03 16:43:08 - last edited 2023-05-03 16:45:38

@Carl 

Thanks Carl - I should have mentioned that my Frontier Arris router is also set up for Easy Mesh.  So I set up my router for Easy Mesh and then set up my extender for Easy Mesh.  This is why I am surprised to see my extender with SSID_EXT.

Options
2023-05-05 00:50:13

@Michel_G 

Let me check with my team and see what is going on here.  Are you able to share a screen shot of the extender's UI showing the EasyMesh settings and that is in an EasyMesh link.  I am sure that they are going to ask that I confirmed this. 

Options
2023-05-05 01:06:24

@Michel_G 

Hi Carl - thanks for your help I just finished talking to 2 tech support representatives to assist me. I believe there is an issue with the extender as when I select my network in the set up, it cannot seet my router set up as an Easy Mesh.  I will see the TP-Link router that I have but not the Frontier one.  However, I was able to configure a Netgear extender with Easy Mesh on my Frontier Router so I know the router is working.  Bottom line I am exchanging my extender as it does not seem to be work quite right...a

thanks again for your help!

Options
2023-05-06 09:36:32

Michel_G wrote

I connected my RE715X extender to my Frontier Arris NVG468MQ using Easy Mesh.  Set up was very easy but it seems to be working still as an extender since it kept a different SSID from my router.  It tagged a "_EXT" extension to it.  For mobile devices to switch connection within the Mesh, I would have expected for the SSID to be the same between the router and the extender. 

I also have a TP Link router and TP Link extender behind my Frontier router and use One Mesh, that has only one SSID and works flawlessly.  I am trying to build a Mesh with my Frontier router for added security and separate my guests and my IoT devices for my house from my personal One Mesh network.

Is my set up correct and that is the way the SSID work with TP Link and Easy Mesh?  Did I miss a configuration step?  I saw I could change the SSID in my Extender setup but I am not sure if it is wise.

Any input will help.

Thanks - Michel

If your goal is to have a single SSID for both your router and extender, similar to your TP-Link setup, you may need to check the configuration options on your RE715X extender. Its's possible that there is an option to change the SSID and configure it to match your router's SSID. Changing the SSID may affect the seamless roaming capability that Easy Mesh Provides. 
Regards: Bikerworlds

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 415

Replies: 5

Tags

Easy Mesh
Related Articles