Setting up X60 trio with backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-09 13:58:33
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 151

Trying to figure out easiest way to set up wired backhaul for my trio of X60's

I have a whole-house wiring closet in a guest bedroom where all wires go to.  I have a X60 in the living room, the office, and upstairs... each of those rooms has a wired ethernet port on the wall that connects directly into one of the 4 ports on my ATT modem/router

Can I just connect all 3 X60's to those wired ethernet ports, and change the main unit to be AP mode?

Or do I have to do something fancy like the online diagrams seem to say that I have to connect slaves to a single switch that is wired after my modem/router?

Walter Davis Houston, TX
Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up X60 trio with backhaul
2023-05-09 18:33:33

@wdavis111,

So if you are using the devices in router mode, there always needs to be one node that is considered the 'main' and at the head of your network. This means that if you want all the configuration options offered by Deco, you would need a Deco node in your guest bedroom closet that connects to the wall ports. If there are not enough ethernet ports to use all the wall ports, this is where you would put a cheap switch. You would also need to place your gateway in bridge mode or IP Passthrough Mode so that you do not have two routers and DHCP servers operating on the network.

Recommended Router Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Main Deco > Network Switch > Wall Ports > Other Decos/Devices

AP Mode Setup: ATT Gateway > Optional Network Switch > Wall Ports > All AP Mode Decos and Other Devices

In AP Mode, the Decos are operating as an extension of your ATT Gateway, meaning that the Gateway is the only device managing the traffic - so all configuration of devices or parental controls must be made using ATTs settings, rather than Decos. See More Details in this FAQ: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Also, you would need the units to all be in AP mode, rather than router mode. Leaving other nodes in Router Mode, will force your deco app to try and configure multiple Deco networks - which is not possible with your network configuration. Lastly, the easiest way to think of the AP mode, is that when they are operating as Access Points, they are still all clients/regular devices when it comes to how they are treated by the 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 207

Replies: 1

Related Articles