WAN and LAN connection between modem and router possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-13 12:33:08
Tags: #USB Sharing #USB printer
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20220526 rel.63519(5553)

My Archer D50 died so I replaced by an Archer AX3000 and used an old TD-W8968 as a modem. So far so good.
The problem is that the AX3000 has no USB printer access capabilities.

The question is: May I use the USB printer port in the TD-W8968 without Wi-Fi activation? And what could happen if I use an additional LAN cable between the modem and router? May I access the printer port that way?

Options
2 Reply
Re:WAN and LAN connection between modem and router possible?
2023-05-15 21:29:08

@lesm,

Connecting your Printer to your modem would not allow for your devices to use the printer, as the printer is outside the control of your Archer Router.

The only way in which this could work is if your TD-8968 is the router of your network, supports a Print Server function, and the AX3000 is configured as an AP - however you will be limited by the features of the older DSL modem.

Unfortunately, with most printers moving to wireless-based connections, print servers for USB printers are not commonly found at a consumer router level. If your printer has wireless capabilities, you can configure the printer that way.

Otherwise, there are adapters out there that you can plug your printer into. The adapters have a print server running and will allow you to connect your printer to your network via an ethernet cable wired into your network. Your Devices should then be able to see the printer and use it normally, however; your mileage may vary due to the amount of variation between printers, adapters, and features.

Options
Re:WAN and LAN connection between modem and router possible?
2023-05-16 11:45:51

Thanks  @Riley_S 

Using the AX3000 as an AP is a bad idea as you say.

The Epson L3110 is working just fine but I don't wish to add another gadget to make the printer go wi-fi.

What about the last question: what could happen if I use an additional LAN cable between the modem and router? May I access the printer port that way?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 231

Replies: 2

Tags

USB Sharing
USB printer
Related Articles