Inconsistent client info between router and access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-29 15:56:02
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2

I have a C1200 acting as my main router and an AX6000 acting as an access point.

They're connected by a TP Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter.

DHCP is enabled on the c1200 and not on the ax6000 (I just enabled Access Point mode from the AX6000 web interface).

If I go to the C1200 webpage and go to Advanced->Network->DHCP I can see the IP addresses assigned to the clients.

If I go to the AX6000 webpage and go to the Network Map and click on Clients I can see what the AX6000 thinks are the IP addresses for the clients.

Mostly they're the same, but not always!

Out of 20 or so clients, about 7 have different IP addresses listed.

I checked one or two of the clients and the C1200 seems to have the accurate view of what their IP address is.

For what it's worth, the lease times for the IP addresses are quite different, with the AX6000 reporting longer remaining lease time.

This isn't affecting my network performance, but I am curious about what's happening.

Any ideas?

Greg

Options
1 Reply
Re:Inconsistent client info between router and access point
2023-05-30 18:49:33

@glauer,

The IP addresses that you are seeing on the AP are most likely representative of the connections that are passing through the AP. It may be that a setting, such as Private Addressing, causes your device to be assigned a new IP address when connecting through the AP.

In AP Mode, the AP simply forwards traffic to the main router, so the list of devices on the AP should not be representative of your entire network. If you AP has the same SSID as your network, your devices may also be attempting to roam between the network and AP, therefore showing in both places. 

You may try checking which you are connecting to by looking at the wireless settings for one of the devices that show different IP addresses.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 1

Related Articles