Should I replace my Archer C& router with a Deco X55?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-07 15:34:29

I’m looking to update my home’s Wi-Fi system and was looking for advice on whether it’s worth replacing my router.  

First let me explain my setup:   I use both wired and Wi-Fi around the house.  My cable modem is located in my basement where my Ethernet hub is.  Unfortunately the basement spot is a very poor place to broadcast Wi-Fi from.  So I use a TP Link Archer C7 router with the Wi-Fi turned off as a wired router there as my DHCP server (I hope that’s the right term) and then have two older Wi-Fi extenders that I have set up as wired access points upstairs at opposite ends of my house.

I’m planning on updating my wifi with Deco X55 units.   Two of these should give me adequate Wi-Fi coverage and I plan on using wired Ethernet connections on these replacing the older extender units as AP’s.

So here is my question:   Should I also get a third x55 unit to replace my older Archer c7 router that’s around 9 years old?   Since it would be in the basement I don’t see it contributing much to the waif coverage but I was wondering if the newer routing/DHCP server would offer any benefit over the older C7 router and/or having all X55's would offer other benefits?  

If it’s relevant, I have Comcast cable with speeds of about 400 mbps down and 10 up.   I don’t game and have fairly basic household/home needs. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Should I replace my Archer C& router with a Deco X55?
2023-06-07 16:50:00

@LSimon,

Either of your options are more than fine, one is just a mesh network and one is traditional (router + APs). Moving to Deco will provide better wireless coverage, as the satellite nodes all work together to make sure that your devices have the best connection possible.

I would recommend swapping out your C7 for a Deco, as they would need to be set up in AP mode if you keep the Archer C7, and will lose out on many of the features that make mesh really powerful. You can see a list of the difference in this FAQ: the Differences between AP Mode and Router mode on Deco.

It is also worth thinking about the fact that the traffic from your network will all be funneled through your C7, meaning you may still be limited by the bandwidth the C7 can make available. Using a Whole Home Deco Solution is really the best way to make sure that your network is performing at its best, especially in a case like yours, where your satellite nodes have the opportunity to have a wired connection back to the main node.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 1

Related Articles