Connecting a LAN printer to wireless with my TL-WA850RE Range Extender.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-12 00:59:12
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 6

Hello:

I have an HP LaserJet 4050n network printer.  It is old enough, I only have a serial connection or LAN to print with, there is no USB. 

Because of the age of my house and construction I have had to deal with using WiFi for all of my network connectivity.  A few years back, I bought a TP-Link TL-WA850RE extender to help with this.  It has worked great as I plugged the printer cable into the extender and I was able to connect to my Google Fiber hub.

This past winter I moved my office from one end of the house to another.  To extend connectivity, I purchased a new router a few weeks back.  I have been trying to move the devices on this end of the house to the new router.  However, I have one device I cannot get to work with this, and that is the Printer.

I cannot remember how I connected the TL-WA850RE to my old Google WiFi point to get it to work correctly.  I know it was through the Tether app.  However now on the current version of the app, when I try to connect to the new router, it makes a third network.  This was something that never happened before.  In addition, I still cannot get my printer to connect to the network.

While I realize this could be a problem with the printer, I wanted to start with settings in my TL-WA850RE and go from there.

Does anyone have any experience setting up a printer with older network connections who might be able to walk me through what I need to do?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it!

Randy

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting a LAN printer to wireless with my TL-WA850RE Range Extender.
2023-06-13 16:30:56

@Traylor1,

Can you clarify what you meant by: "when I try to connect to the new router, it makes a third network"

Are you trying to connect the printer to the RE or the Printer?

If you are not using the RE, I would try disconnecting the RE while troubleshooting, as this will take it out of the equation entirely.

If you are using the RE to connect, there may be additional settings that should be configured.

Do you happen to know if you configured any settings on the RE or Printer, such as a Static IP Address or an IP reservation? If this was configured, then your printer may be not able to connect if it is trying to use the older settings while connecting to the new network.

Options
Re:Connecting a LAN printer to wireless with my TL-WA850RE Range Extender.
2023-06-13 19:00:18

Riley_S wrote

@Traylor1,

Can you clarify what you meant by: "when I try to connect to the new router, it makes a third network"

Are you trying to connect the printer to the RE or the Printer?

If you are not using the RE, I would try disconnecting the RE while troubleshooting, as this will take it out of the equation entirely.

If you are using the RE to connect, there may be additional settings that should be configured.

Do you happen to know if you configured any settings on the RE or Printer, such as a Static IP Address or an IP reservation? If this was configured, then your printer may be not able to connect if it is trying to use the older settings while connecting to the new network.

@Riley_S 

Riley:

I am confused by your post, my apologies.  When I use the Tether app, it adds an extension to the name of the current network I am connected to and appears to create it's own network.  I am not at home Until later this week, so I cannot tell you the exact extension.

As stated earlier, before using the updated Tether app, I had the Printer hardwired into the RE.  This RE connected wirelessly to my Google Router and gave me network access.  I just cannot get it to connect and I am needing instructions on how to connect again.

I basically need to know what settings to use to connect the RE to my new network so that I can print again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 391

Replies: 2

Related Articles