Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-21 06:00:25 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:45:08
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

Hi I got this router for like 3 years now and I'm noticing that my internet on my pc is around 300-400mbps but when i ran a speed test on my Archer C4000 in its UI its reporting 800mbps.  What are the potential problems could it be that Im only getting half of what its reporting? Is there any solutions I could fix this problem? Thanks!  

(The AC4000 is hooked up to a fiber modem)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.-Solution
2023-06-22 11:41:09 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:45:08

@random_guy 

OK, you switched the ISP then and/or the Service provided. I've had the same basically, my ISP moved us from 400/20Mbps to 1000/40Mbps.

When you change speeds, some devices retain the old settings... that is they might have set some internal settings and they can't reach the speed.

One thing to try is turn everything off, modem/router/devices. Then in order, Modem, router, devices turn each on waiting for each to fully come on before turning on the next one. Especially important on the modem/router connection.

Still, it might not change anything. In that case, the device could be holding onto setting. In each device you have to FORGET the network, especially if you used the SAME SSID names. Some devices you can't forget the connection, and in those, like on a PC you need to either delete it or create a NEW one.

Best way to fix that is to use a new SSID name, that too forces a change in the devices.

Another thing, you do not understand the meaning of the router 'speed'.

" I thought the router I have can do 1625mbps because it was advertised on the box. "

Well, that is not the true speed, but a Theoretical speed or a Connection speed. It is also a COMBINED capability speed. I assume you have the C4000 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/) as it is an AC1625 router.

However you can't reach in terms of throughput 1625Mbps. That is the Connection speed, what your device and router connect at. The DEVICE and its IEEE 802.11 rating determines the Connection AND Throughput speed. Those standards are for the device speed letters, A/B/G/N/AC/AX. Each one has a difference throughput capability.

For AC, this is the maximum you can get:

===================

The theoretical maximum speed of 802.11ac is eight 160MHz 256-QAM channels, each of which are capable of 866.7Mbps, for a total of 6,933Mbps, or just shy of 7Gbps.

===================

Note what IS required, eight 160MHz 256-QAM channels. to reach the maximum speed. Now does your Device have that ability to handle a 160Mhz wide channel? Does the router put it out? Do both sets of antennea's put out 8 signals? Probably not.

Bottom line, you can't get 1.625Gbps with that router as the SPEED of the Internet.

I have an AX55 with an AX speed connection on the ISP's 1GB service. My network card (Intel's Killer AX1650i) connect to my router at 2280Mbps. The router is and AX55 AX3000 dual band...

On the web page for the router is this:

=========

Next-Gen Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Speed—2402 Mbps on 5 GHz and 574 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band ensure smoother streaming and faster downloads.

=========

Note the SuperScript:

===============

Maximum wireless signal rates are the physical rates derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual wireless data throughput, wireless coverage and number of connected devices are not guaranteed and will vary as a result of network conditions, client limitations, and environmental factors, including building materials, obstacles, volume and density of traffic, and client location.

==============

Physical Rates, NOT the Throughput speed. Like I said, I connect at 2280Mbps when I do a Lan Scan with an Analyzer... close to the maximum.

I'm on Windows, and I look at the Status of the connection via the Control Panel, Network Connections, and Right Mouse button on the Wireless connection and select Status and I see this:

9771eeac1d1e4ec2bd1088725aec5fc3

That is the SPEED my network device is talking to my router, NOT the speed of the Internet Connection. Again, I have 1Gbps down... (which is impossible to get, 940Mbps is normal). I do have the AX device and my PC speed test is this:

a2c1dec2b4be464fb72b641e393e87fe

This does vary as there are many things, like server traffic, that can effect the speed. I have hit 940 a few times.

I should also tell you my router is set to provide the highest signal, that is a 160Mhz wide channel.

aa64199c22c04368a2dd24ee17c6cc2b

If you want to learn more about the Connection speed and throughput, got to DUCKWARE DOT COM (TP-Link doesn't allow external links here so replace the DOT with . between the 2 words). Look at the first link, Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E/7 (802.11 n/ac/ax/be) as it is technical but it does explain what you can get.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.
2023-06-21 21:40:31

@random_guy,

The speed test that you ran from your router is the maximum bandwidth that is being delivered to your router from your modem. It does not necessarily indicate what speeds your device is capable of receiving. No matter what wireless devices will see a decreased available bandwidth due to environmental conditions and router settings.

First off, unless you have configured device QoS priority, your router should save some bandwidth to maintain the connections of your devices, and to accommodate any devices that may connect to the network. Oftentimes, this is minima; however you can try to force the maximum by using the device priority function of your network. Beware that you may see other devices on your network struggle when using your PC however.

For wireless networks, it's common to see pretty dramatic falloffs. Anything such as the number of walls, appliances, and the range will have an overall impact on the connection quality and bandwidth. Wireless communications also have an Overhead Cost; which is essentially the instructions for the Wi-Fi protocol that is attached to each packet.

I would recommend making sure that your network drivers are up to date on your PC, and even that your OS is up to date, as I have personally seen increases in connection quality after updating.

If you are in a crowded area, such as an apartment, try checking for channel congestion. If your channel is congested try changing to another available Wi-Fi channel.

Options
Re:Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.
2023-06-21 22:53:16

@random_guy 

What SSID are you connecting too, the 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID?

If the 2.4Ghz, that speed is probably accurate, need to use the 5Ghz band to reach over 300+Mbps usually.

Also, you were not too clear other than you had the router for about 3 years, but were you getting better wireless speed before? If so, did you change devices or some other change in the PC?

Did you move the router to device distance further apart?

To reach 800Mbps you also need a router and device capable of AC Wifi 6 speed on the 5Ghz SSID.

Also, there are other things to consider, Interference from other users on the same channel, even a Microwave in use, or a slower device (N speed) on the same SSID, all can reduce the speed of the network.

Options
2023-06-22 00:19:36 - last edited 2023-06-22 00:39:15

@IrvSp 

I am connected to the 5ghz one. Not the 2.4ghz. The 2.4ghz only gives me like 50-100mbps while the 5ghz one gives me 300-400mbps. We use to use xfinity  and the speed on that exceeds 400mbps. After we switch to fiber our speed got slowed. Our current plan right now is gigabyte internet. I have not moved the router when we switched to fiber or any other pc. 

Options
2023-06-22 00:58:05

@IrvSp 

I thought the router I have can do 1625mbps because it was advertised on the box. How come if I get another router that is WIFI 6 compatible  it could increase my speed if my router advertise that it could reach 1625mbps? 

Options
Re:Wi-Fi getting half of the speed while my router is reporting that I have 800mbps.-Solution
2023-06-22 11:41:09 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:45:08

@random_guy 

OK, you switched the ISP then and/or the Service provided. I've had the same basically, my ISP moved us from 400/20Mbps to 1000/40Mbps.

When you change speeds, some devices retain the old settings... that is they might have set some internal settings and they can't reach the speed.

One thing to try is turn everything off, modem/router/devices. Then in order, Modem, router, devices turn each on waiting for each to fully come on before turning on the next one. Especially important on the modem/router connection.

Still, it might not change anything. In that case, the device could be holding onto setting. In each device you have to FORGET the network, especially if you used the SAME SSID names. Some devices you can't forget the connection, and in those, like on a PC you need to either delete it or create a NEW one.

Best way to fix that is to use a new SSID name, that too forces a change in the devices.

Another thing, you do not understand the meaning of the router 'speed'.

" I thought the router I have can do 1625mbps because it was advertised on the box. "

Well, that is not the true speed, but a Theoretical speed or a Connection speed. It is also a COMBINED capability speed. I assume you have the C4000 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/) as it is an AC1625 router.

However you can't reach in terms of throughput 1625Mbps. That is the Connection speed, what your device and router connect at. The DEVICE and its IEEE 802.11 rating determines the Connection AND Throughput speed. Those standards are for the device speed letters, A/B/G/N/AC/AX. Each one has a difference throughput capability.

For AC, this is the maximum you can get:

===================

The theoretical maximum speed of 802.11ac is eight 160MHz 256-QAM channels, each of which are capable of 866.7Mbps, for a total of 6,933Mbps, or just shy of 7Gbps.

===================

Note what IS required, eight 160MHz 256-QAM channels. to reach the maximum speed. Now does your Device have that ability to handle a 160Mhz wide channel? Does the router put it out? Do both sets of antennea's put out 8 signals? Probably not.

Bottom line, you can't get 1.625Gbps with that router as the SPEED of the Internet.

I have an AX55 with an AX speed connection on the ISP's 1GB service. My network card (Intel's Killer AX1650i) connect to my router at 2280Mbps. The router is and AX55 AX3000 dual band...

On the web page for the router is this:

=========

Next-Gen Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Speed—2402 Mbps on 5 GHz and 574 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band ensure smoother streaming and faster downloads.

=========

Note the SuperScript:

===============

Maximum wireless signal rates are the physical rates derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual wireless data throughput, wireless coverage and number of connected devices are not guaranteed and will vary as a result of network conditions, client limitations, and environmental factors, including building materials, obstacles, volume and density of traffic, and client location.

==============

Physical Rates, NOT the Throughput speed. Like I said, I connect at 2280Mbps when I do a Lan Scan with an Analyzer... close to the maximum.

I'm on Windows, and I look at the Status of the connection via the Control Panel, Network Connections, and Right Mouse button on the Wireless connection and select Status and I see this:

9771eeac1d1e4ec2bd1088725aec5fc3

That is the SPEED my network device is talking to my router, NOT the speed of the Internet Connection. Again, I have 1Gbps down... (which is impossible to get, 940Mbps is normal). I do have the AX device and my PC speed test is this:

a2c1dec2b4be464fb72b641e393e87fe

This does vary as there are many things, like server traffic, that can effect the speed. I have hit 940 a few times.

I should also tell you my router is set to provide the highest signal, that is a 160Mhz wide channel.

aa64199c22c04368a2dd24ee17c6cc2b

If you want to learn more about the Connection speed and throughput, got to DUCKWARE DOT COM (TP-Link doesn't allow external links here so replace the DOT with . between the 2 words). Look at the first link, Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E/7 (802.11 n/ac/ax/be) as it is technical but it does explain what you can get.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-22 21:01:48

@IrvSp 

Wow that helped alot I finally understand why my router couldn't get to the full max speed of 1625mbps. I will try to change the channel to 160MHZ to see if that will help. Anyways do you think that if I factory reset the router will help? If so how do I properly do it? 

Options
2023-06-22 22:15:42

random_guy wrote

@IrvSp 

Wow that helped alot I finally understand why my router couldn't get to the full max speed of 1625mbps. I will try to change the channel to 160MHZ to see if that will help. Anyways do you think that if I factory reset the router will help? If so how do I properly do it? 

@random_guy,

You can't get 1625Mbps on a single SSID, you can't even get on 2 (5 and 2.4Ghz) but you might get the Connection Speed CLOSE to 1625Mbps IF you add the connection speeds together.

Going to 160Mhz wide SSID will NOT work unless the device you have works on that size SSID. Antenneas on the receiving device must work with it. Many do not.

I searched the web to help explain this for you. Again, can't put the link up directly, but I can cut and paste some info:

-------------------------------------------

A 2x2 device on an 80 MHz channel can achieve a maximum link rate of 1200 Mbps, resulting in throughput around 800-900 Mbps in ideal conditions. A 2x2 device on a 160 MHz channel can achieve a maximum link rate of 2400 Mbps, resulting in throughput around 1400-1600 Mbps in ideal conditions.

--------------------------------------------

Remember, I said my Connect rate was 2280Mbps (called Link Rate here) and not the 1.4 - 1.6Gbps, well, two things should stand out to you, you probably need the 2Gbps ISP signal into the routers, and "in ideal conditions".

Reset the router, either look in your Router Manual (can get it from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/) and enter your Router  model (C7???) and clock on the link below, enter your Router Version, and then you'd see the Manuals for D/L. Or look at this FAQ, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/140/ but I don't think that will solve your problem UNLESS you made a change in the router and it was the cause? By the way, I'd SAVE the settings before resetting the router to restore them IF needed. Again, once reset, you will need to look on the label on the bottom for UserID and P/W for the router and SSID names and P/W's. You will need to 'customize' and set all needed options/settings once you reset it. There is always a CHANCE that if you restore the saved settings and one of them was the problem, you will be right back where you were before. I have no clue why you think resetting the router will fix your (unexplained) problem?

Good luck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1070

Replies: 7

Related Articles