Firmware update circus.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firmware update circus.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Firmware update circus.
Firmware update circus.
2023-06-23 19:04:47 - last edited 2023-06-23 19:20:28
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230511 rel.51682(5553)

This question is specifically for the community because of the ... interesting ... variety of answers I get from "support."

The router is telling me there's a pending firmware update. The last two times it told me that were met with unsuccessful attempts at updating. Both times, the router would just hang which requires an anxiety inducing power cycle. I use the term "anxiety inducing" because the router is very specific about telling you NOT to do that.

The first time it did that, I contacted support and was told not to update the firmware unless there was a problem with the router. I subscribe to the rule that says, "If you have it, keep it updated." Ok. So why tell me there's an update if I'm not supposed to install it? And the answer I just got was, "So you'll know there's an update available."

ME: :-\ But I'm not supposed to update the firmware unless there's a problem with the router?

THEM: Correct.

ME: :-\ Then how/when should I update the firmware? I assume there are security reasons for releasing firmware updates.

THEM: When the router tells you there's an update available.

ME: :-| You mean like now???

THEM: Correct.

SO... Do you update the firmware when the router tells you to or do you wait? Wait for what?

Do you download the firmware and update it manually or let the router do it?

EDIT: I forgot that I wanted to include this line from the router's configuration page, "Update firmware for this router automatically when a new version is available."

Options
7 Reply
Re:Firmware update circus.
2023-06-23 23:13:08

@sweller 

Well, why have you not gone to the Support page, entered AX55 and then the d/l and F/W page (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax55/v1/#Firmware) and get it from there for your AX55 version? There is more than one to get.

211241114ef447daba6ff2dced7e13cf

Then installed after you save it to your hard disk or desktop and select that file from the UPDATE page by browsing for it? See if it works that way.

I do recall sometimes getting false info that updates are available when they were already installed?

Can't install that way, I'd look at the Router Log and see if it had any reason for it not happening? Otherwise, call Support and tell them what you tried?

Options
2023-06-23 23:59:23

@IrvSp 

Well... let me try to reply without being so verbose.

tp-link DOES NOT recommend updating the firmware just because they've released a new version. They've made that clear each time I HAVE contacted support.

The problem with that recommendation is that it DOES NOT address any security updates, one of which is pending as indicated by the page you posted.

I take it you DO NOT ignore the notifications put out by your router?

P.S. I'm not making this up.

Options
2023-06-24 00:24:14

sweller wrote

@IrvSp 

Well... let me try to reply without being so verbose.

tp-link DOES NOT recommend updating the firmware just because they've released a new version. They've made that clear each time I HAVE contacted support.

The problem with that recommendation is that it DOES NOT address any security updates, one of which is pending as indicated by the page you posted.

I take it you DO NOT ignore the notifications put out by your router?

P.S. I'm not making this up.

@sweller 

It is true some do not recommend updating the f/w UNLESS you know it fixes something you are having a problem with... even the PC vendor's do the 'If it is not broke do not fix it' mantra.

Problem is that they first of all DO NOT detail every fix that goes into the new F/W... See, probably because they only TEST what they fixed, but some fixes can/will also fix other problems they had not addressed yet or were not reported to them.

Look at the latest one:

875fa90478cf404cb02c95c15551f9cf

THREE lines with not DETAILS... and how are you to make a decision to get it or not?

Why no list of Security Fixes? Easy, it they stated what the fixed (CVE number) that 'crooks' would know that exposure would exist in that specific TP-Link router not updated and then knew since not everyone update, there were easy targets there... a lot of vendor's do not list all the Security fixes.

Show me in writing where TP-Link says not to install F/W updates? Why would they put this FAQ out if you should update the F/W, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/688/ ?

The Support person 'blew you off' more than likely. Didn't want to work the problem, ASK for a Suipervisor to help you.

I can understand do not get it if you don't have problems, but Security wise, not a good idea not to get it.

But look that this update:

073c0ddda7764efd9cbaf00cc70fe88b

Sort of the opposite you were told, no?

Options
2023-06-24 15:07:36 - last edited 2023-06-24 15:16:23

@IrvSp 

"Sort of the opposite you were told, no?"
In the extreme, yes. I'd not hesitate with anything expressed so emphatically.

"Show me in writing where TP-Link says not to install F/W updates?"

From yesterday's transcript:

Agent-Alberto2023-06-24 02:17:45
I see, If there is no issues going to the router we do not suggest on updating its firmware.

In my inbox this morning, I got an email from support asking, "Can you check the latest software version on the router management interface?"

Sure I could if I knew what it was and where to find it???

UPDATE:  The configuration page still shows the pending update, but FWIW the nag is gone!   "Fascinating."

Options
2023-06-24 15:57:12

sweller wrote

"Show me in writing where TP-Link says not to install F/W updates?"

From yesterday's transcript:

Agent-Alberto2023-06-24 02:17:45
I see, If there is no issues going to the router we do not suggest on updating its firmware.

In my inbox this morning, I got an email from support asking, "Can you check the latest software version on the router management interface?"

UPDATE:  The configuration page still shows the pending update, but FWIW the nag is gone!   "Fascinating."

@sweller 

Not exactly what I meant by 'in writting' as I meant and OFFICIAL POSTED statement from TP-Link posted as either an FAQ or statement on an official TP-Link owned page.

The Support person is not giving you an 'official' position, just at best his opinion, or way of 'satisfying' you so you don't press the issue.

See my LINK above, #2 in this thread. The LINK will take you to the F/W D/L page... and before doing that, check YOUR installed version against the THREE I pasted into #2 above. If you have the latest, it is a TP-Link problem showing you one you have installed,IGNORE it. If not the latest that you have, get it and install it.

Options
2023-06-24 16:28:14

@IrvSp 

Not exactly what I meant by 'in writting' as I meant and OFFICIAL POSTED statement from TP-Link posted as either an FAQ or statement on an official TP-Link owned page.

I rather anticipated that. But being on the outside and looking in, I'm clueless where to find tp-link's official statements on any of their positions. However, and I will maintain this perspective, since I've now been told this three times on three separate and unrelated occasions, that's enough to convince me that it is their official position - unless told specifically otherwise as in the case you pointed out.

Anyway...

We're just going around in circles and while I appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight, I don't believe we're going to resolve this, even if there is a resolution. All I was really looking for was a consensus from the community on whether or not to update the firmware and when since, as you pointed out, we really have scant information as to what is actually in the updates. What I choose to do in the future is look at the "Enhancements" and if there is something saying "security" - I'll update it. Or try. Roll the dice.

Peace.

Options
2023-06-24 18:50:08 - last edited 2023-06-24 18:51:52

@sweller 

I got in my email another post here, that does NOT seem to be here now?

I suspect you deleted it, but it did contain this:

--------------------------------

--------------------------------

I'll assume you might have figured out where to find it and deleted the reply, however, in case you did not, on the Router GUI, look here:

b41ca389c81c453995e63eadd900b02b

At least that is what I 'assume' they meant by "Management Interface"?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 7

Related Articles