AX95 5Ghz-2 Band doesn't ever return to DFS channel after switching.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-05 00:08:37
Model: Archer AX95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi,

I've noticed that the Archer AX95 second 5Ghz band, when set to a DFS channel (100 to 112, 132 to 144), it will use that channel and work well for hours to days but eventually switch off of it  to channel 157 (presumably due to radar detection, as it should). The problem is that it seems to never try to return to the DFS channel it was set to after it switches off. It will remain on channel 157 indefinitely while being set to channel 132 in the settings. I can get it to go back on channel 132 by changing the setting to any other channel and then changing it back to 132, so it doesn't seem like there is constant radar activity on that channel to justify never returning.

This seems like a very similar problem to what was reported in this thread for the AX50, where it was fixed with a beta firmware.

I like to use the DFS channel range 132 to 144 as none of my neighbors are using it. I use the 2nd band on these channels as a dedicated band for wireless VR streaming to an Oculus Quest 2 headset, and it works really well with no stuttering or lag. Unfortunately, many nearby wireless networks are on channel 157 when it falls back from using DFS.

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX95 5Ghz-2 Band doesn't ever return to DFS channel after switching.
2023-07-05 08:36:17

@Swiggy 

Hi, upon checking with our senior engineer, when selecting a DFS channel manually, it is normal that the 5G channel will not switch back to the DFS channel automatically after it switches to non-DFS channel due to radar detection. It is mainly to ensure a stable wireless network because if it is allowed to switch back, it might switch frequently between the DFS channel and non-DFS channel, thus the wireless connection might be quite unstable.

Your understanding would be highly appreciated!

Options
Re:AX95 5Ghz-2 Band doesn't ever return to DFS channel after switching.
2023-07-05 17:20:04

@Sunshine 

Thanks, that makes sense, but then what is the function of the "Zero Wait DFS" setting? I thought the purpose was to allow quick changes to/from DFS channels, and maintaining detection on DFS channels that aren't currently in use to avoid waiting to switch channels. Is it for switching to other DFS channels until all available ones have detected radar, at which point it remains off of DFS until a restart/settings change?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 440

Replies: 2

Related Articles