TL-WR902AC MAC cloning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR902AC MAC cloning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WR902AC MAC cloning
TL-WR902AC MAC cloning
2023-07-21 07:13:58
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 220804 and 220329

Hello, I was able to log in to hotel wifi a number of times using the excellent info in "Case 2" of this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/510670

However that was a while ago and since then I can't get it to work.  Specifically,

1 - I connect to hotel wifi (unsecured, but has a registration flow to put in your name and room number, at which point you're granted internet access) with my ipad, and go through the registration flow.  I can successfully browse the internet through hotel wifi on the ipad at this point.

2 - I connect to the travel router from my windows laptop and set the travel router to static IP, and input the IP and DNS information from the ipad

3 - I disconnect the ipad from the hotel network

4 - I set the travel router to clone the ipad's MAC address

5 - The travel router restarts but after restart it still doesn't connect to the internet through the hotel wifi.  When I log into the travel router I see that the router's WAN MAC address does not equal the address that I had set it to clone to.  Instead it is an address that is similar, but not identical to the travel router's default MAC address.  I find this very confusing.

Was there some change in the last few firmware updates that removed the ability to clone MAC addresses?  I had this working a while back and I don't think I'm doing anything different.  I also tried rolling back by one firmware version from 220804 to 220329 but that didn't help.

Giant thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 604

Replies: 0

Related Articles