Inconsistent Speeds and Intermittent Connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-21 18:21:31
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Background

• I have a T-Mobile wifi router and a new x55 mesh system. I have both systems on so that I can compare them
    • The T-Mobile router is also the main internet connection, so both systems are fairly close to one another
  • I have a few devices connected to the x55's IoT network and haven't had any issues that I can tell
  • My work laptop is connected to the x55's main network when I WFH on Friday.
    • My laptop has been in the exact same place all day, and obviously the antenna hasn't moved either

Symptoms

• Throughout most of the day today I have been getting very inconsistent internet speeds, confirmed through speedtest.net
    • I get speeds as low as 4Mbps (!!) up all the way through almost 500Mbps
    • Anecdotally based on the number of times I notice it, it seems to err on the slow side, but that could just be because it's harder to notice when there's no issue
  • Sometimes you can take two consecutive speed measurements, only a few seconds apart, and one will be very low while the other is very high
  • I can confirm that it's not internet speed that is the issue, because if I have another computer on the T-Mobile wifi and do a test at the same time, it is consistently high.
  • I have tried cycling through the 4 networks in succession (T-mobile, Main/Gues/IoT on the Mesh on the x55) and I've found that the T-Mobile is consistently in the 300+ range, the IoT network is consistenly in the 20 range (it is set to 2.4Ghz only) and the other two range from the low singles to high 400's
  • Additionally, I get numerous disconnects throughout the day. Most of them are short enough to not be noticible at all (under 4 seconds), but some are long enough to cause skipping video or dropped Teams calls
    • Between 7:50AM and now (2:00PM), I have had 28 disconnects
    • I have not been running an internet monitor on the T-mobile network today, but I have never noticed this many disconnects in the past
  • I had similar problems last Friday, but it seemed to clear itself up by mid morning. Today it definitely seems to have gotten better around mid-morning (16 of the 28 disconnects were before 10am), but has not completely cleared up.

I am only 1.5-ish rooms away, and get full signal. I'm not sure what other diagnostics or settings to try to get this issue to work. Unfortunately I'm only at my computer all day for one day a week. I wondered if maybe my computer is on the edge of the 5Ghz range (if so... that's a really short range) and switching into the 2.4Hgz range (if so... that's a really slow connection) but I'm not sure how to test that.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Inconsistent Speeds and Intermittent Connectivity
2023-07-24 19:08:08

@jazzman831,

Your T-Mobile Router - Is this a Gateway that is also operating as your modem and as a source of Wi-Fi?

If no settings were changed on the T-Mobile Router, such as enabling Bridge Mode or IP Passthrough Mode, then the Decos would need to be configured in AP mode. If possible try enabling Bridge Mode, which will disable the wireless and routing functionality of the T-Mobile Gateway, essentially turning it into a modem.

There should only ever be one router in your network, as the router is the device assigning addresses and routing traffic. Having two routers on your network would create a Double NAT situation and could cause a slowdown in performance. The disconnects would also be caused by this, as traffic could be lost when rerouted through both routers. 

Options
2023-07-31 17:06:40

@Riley_S sorry about the delay, but I've come back with some more information.

First, unfortunately the T-Mobile router doesn't have a bridge mode, so I had to put the Decos in AP mode. This seems to have fixed the connection issue. I went over 24 hours with 0 disconnects, and over the course of 4 days of leaving my computer on, I only had 2 disconnects.

As for the speed, I've done more testing and my best guess is it's a combination of very slow speeds on the 2.4Ghz network (typically in the 20Mbps range) and very short range of the 5Ghz network (it won't reach to the next room through an open doorway; confirmed by temporarily turning off the 2.4Ghz antenna). Fixing the double NAT may have been the bigger issue because it's not quite as noticable as it was before. (I was able to play two separate online games with Discord chat over the weekend with no problem).

So I guess the remaining question is: are there any more settings to tweak to help with the range and speed? Overall aside from expanded coverage in the far side of my house I don't seem to be getting much better performance from 3APs that I was previously getting from 1 (and in some spots it actually seems to be slighly worse).

Options
2023-08-03 19:25:18

@jazzman831,

So in AP mode, as you have probably discovered, you have access to a lot fewer settings: The difference Between Deco in Router Mode and AP Mode

Those two disconnects from the PC are likely the DHCP lease expiring and the computer renewing the lease. But fixing the Dual NAT should drastically improve the stability of the network.

I would first start with triggering a network optimization for your Deco network, as this will help renegotiate now that the settings have been changed. Then try forgetting and reconnecting to the network on your devices - as they may be using older settings that are slowing the connection.

I would highly recommend checking the WIRED speeds when connected to the Main Node, vs the Satellite Nodes as this would indicate if the slowdown is on the client side or within the network.

From there, there may be settings available to you for beamforming and fast roaming. If your devices support the technology you should see a much greater range.

Lastly, I would recommend either swapping nodes or providing a different power source, as the 5GHz should be able to reach slightly further than what you are saying. For the nodes that are 'potentially' causing a slowdown, try moving the node to your deadzone, as it may be causing interference or too many wireless hops where it currently is- which would cause the slowing.

All settings that would help route a more powerful connection to the devices would be on the T-Mobile router, I would check to see if there are any QoS settings on your T-Mobile Router that may be reserving or limiting the bandwidth. If there are, try assigning the Deco as a priority device. What T-Mobile Gateway are you using, so that I may look at the documentation for it?

Options
2023-08-03 19:54:18

@Riley_S Thank you, I will test all those settings tonight when I get home. In the mean time, I'm using the Nokia 5G21 router. It won't let me post the full web address, but there is more info at the t-mobile page:  /support/home-internet/nokia-gateway

Options
2023-08-03 21:04:50

@jazzman831,

Looking around, there is some pretty similar experiences for your Gateway. As it is a 5G Gateway, it is also subject to more interference - try taking note of the times you see the far slower speeds to see if it happens during the 'Rush Hour' for internet activity. 

I would try and also run a speed test directly from the Gateway to see if they are similar to what you are receiving when connected to the main node. Depending on the results, settings may be configured on the gateway to help, but you would need to visit other forums or subreddits for recommended settings. If they are different, then changes could be made to the Deco to get the full bandwidth

Options
2023-08-15 01:31:04

@Riley_S Sorry about the delay -- I was on vacation so I wasn't able to properly test.

I think the issue is with the 2.4Ghz network.

I plugged my computer in directly to the router, using the same cable that normally connects to the Deco, and got a speedtest result of 187 up / 13 down.

I plugged the Deco back in and connected to it. When I was connected to the 5 Ghz network I got a speed of 246 up / 17 down. (The fact that it's faster doesn't surprise me; it fluctuates quite a bit with repeated measurements but is always in the solid triple digits; it's also raining right now).

Lastly, I moved my computer to my office, which is one room over from the Deco (caddy corner). It connected to the 2.4Ghz network and got a speed of 10 down / 3 up.

• All three tests were within a few minutes of one another, so network congestion isn't a factor.
  • Signal strength is rated as excellent.
  • At one point I was using two devices right next to one another, and for some reason one was connected to the 5Ghz network and one to the 2.4Ghz network -- the 5Ghz device was streaming YouTube videos without issue and the 2.4Ghz network couldn't even get websites to load.
  • I performed a network optimization. A wifi scanner confirms that there is now less interference among the channels, but it doesn't seem to have changed the behavior I'm seeing
  • Fast roaming and beamforming are both on
  • I notice it mostly on my phone, but I think that's because I use it the most. I've seen the same behavior on 3 different devices.
  • It doesn't look like I have any QoS settings available on the T-Mobile router, and I can't set priority devices
Options