Dropped internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-22 22:34:02
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have Spectrum internet.  Noticed Wi-Fi going down intermittently as a new onset problem in recent weeks.  Contact with Spectrum tech said modem was fine but couldn't see my router, therefore, "bad router". ASUS Router was several years old so I chose to purchase new router, the AX 1800.  Up and running easily but seeing red LED light coming on intermittently as often as several times an hour with corresponding drop in WiFi. Usually lasts only a few minutes and returns to normal. Can't see anything helpful in System Log.  Also note that I have a Verizon cell network extender being fed off the router via Ethernet cable. Of course cell extender goes down, too.  Can the cell network extender interfere with the internet connection?  If so, could it be due to side-by-side location of the router and the extender creating interference? I am experimenting with following the drop frequency with cell extender disconnected, but I was having dropped connections before I got the cell extender. Any thoughts? Any router settings changes that would help?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Dropped internet connection
2023-07-23 11:56:40

@DocL 

The RED light probably means the WAN connection (Internet feed via Spectrum) has dropped. Did you look at the Modem when this happens? Does it show ON-LINE?

You could have a line problem or a Faulty Modem even.

Call Spectrum and ask that they send someone to check the line and modem. The agent SHOULD be able to see the LOG on the modem too and might see something? Spectrum LOCKS the viewing of the log, or even looking at the Modem GUI on you, but they (the phone agent) usually can check it.

I assume this is the manual for your Router, https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202304/20230428/1910013257_Archer%20AX1800_UG_REV1.20.0.pdf

, and on Page 5 there is the Internet LED, and ORANGE (not RED) means the Modem IS connected but the Internet is not available, which means the Modem lost it or is not providing it.

Options
2023-07-23 16:39:28

@DocL 

Thanks for quick reply.  You have confirmed my way of thinking.  Spectrum tech to come to my house today and hopefully can access modem logs. No concern regarding cell phone extender attached and in close proximity causing Wi-Fi interference?

Options
2023-07-24 17:38:26

@DocL 

All fixed.  Service tech tested modem and it was ok.  Determined issue outside the house and replaced line from street.  Also replaced a splitter near modem.  No drops in last 24 hours.

Options
2023-07-24 18:42:38

@DocL 

Glad it was fixed, and it IS hard to tell if there is a problem outside the house.

They can get 'aggressive' in fixing it too... They claimed I had 'poor' signal shape, so they put in a transformer to condition it. Didn't fix the problem, so then checked the line to the house, replaced that and it fixed the problem. WILL not remove the transformer though... It bothers me as if we lose power we lose the Internet, even though it the cable is live. I've got a UPS on the  route and modem and it used to be when we lost power, we still had the signal and could use tablet and phones using wireless (poor service in house). I may just take it out myself, but was 'warned' against that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 320

Replies: 4

Related Articles