Location required during setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 22:49:25

I am trying to set up a Kasa switch and I have let the app use my location on request. I still cannot complete setup. Do I need to allow Kasa to know my location all the time? It's an outlet, why do you need this information? Please disable this requirement.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Location required during setup
2023-07-24 06:32:11 - last edited 2023-07-25 08:16:39

@new-user114 

During the setup of a Kasa smart device, the Kasa App on Android may require access to the location settings on the Android phone being used to complete the installation. This is required by Android 6.0 or later versions. When a device running Android 6.0 or later initiates a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi scan in the background, the corresponding App must have access to the location settings for greater data protection.

When you're adding a Kasa device through Kasa App installed on your Android phone (Android 6.0 or later), the Kasa App will search for nearby Kasa smart devices via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi scans, permitted access to the device location will be required.

The location permission is used only during the setup process. Once you complete the setup, you can disable the location permission. 

There is also an explanation in the APP when it asks for location permission. 

03e60e391a9a4bc3ae1cae6068dd920c

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options